Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass panel questions;

Default Re: Glass panel questions;

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Also, it seems that figuring out the real cost of all you will need by the time you have it all figured out is a huge guessing game since almost no one sells a complete, easy to understand and install package. So any info telling me what to expect for final cost would also be really helpful.
    I hate to sound like a Dynon salesman, but it IS a complete, easy to understand and install system. Most everything is an optional add-on module (box) that can be added later if you choose, even radio and intercom. Transponder and GPS is all ADS-B 2020 compliant. A costly but nice option for those leery of wiring is their wiring interface panel which includes circuit protection and is basically plug and play with pre-made wiring harnesses. All this is also true of Advanced Flight Systems (owned by Dynon).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

A costly but nice option for those leery of wiring is their wiring interface panel which includes circuit protection and is basically plug and play with pre-made wiring harnesses.
    Jim, have been following Dynon for quite some time for my upcoming build. Not sure what you are referring to here - can you provide a link?

If you are inferring the AFS - ACM (Advanced Control Module) - info to date as released by Dynon - that module is only available if you buy a complete Quickbuild panel. A completely done panel ready to install in the aircraft. Yes it is costly and yes very plug and play as it is all done for you.

Let us know if you're referring to something different or have info the rest of us don't have.

Another option close to that would be Vertical Powers VP-X for the home panel builder.

I am absolutely ecstatic about my Dynon D180 in the Mangy.

I have full flight instruments and engine EIS in one box. Small, light and it was surprisingly easy to install.

It is older technology compared to some of the other offerings. It is also a fraction of the cost of their SkyView system. I don't mind having a separate GPS (Garmin Aera 500) and Comm radio (iCom A220).
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Wow, you guys sure deliver when asked! I have so much good info now I'm thinking I will probably have to regroup / do more research. Consequently I do have a few more questions;

- For iPad users, would a fan on the backside eliminate overheating issues?
    - Do iPads also turn off when too cold out too? (Like my iphone does)
    (I live in Wisconsin so winter is probably more of an issue than our relatively mild summers)

- It appears Dynon has the best reputation from all I've read, but is also more costly than some others. How about annual update costs? Is it easy to do?

- Do any of the all in one units (Dynon, MGL, Advanced, etc) uffer from heat and cold like the iPad does?

For the record, I just want a VFR aircraft. But because I am thinking about using it for some occasional 500 to 1500 mile trips in the future, I really would like an "only in an emergency get out of jail option" available if I really needed it. A flight instructor friend of mine tested the synthetic vision on foreflight and said it would be a great tool for that scenario. He put it much higher than an autopilot, but of course restated only for an emergency use to get you out of trouble, not to encouage VFR into IFR conditions, which I completely agree with.

I've flown these airplanes so long I hate to even admit how seldom I use instruments. But if traveling and being more mission focused on getting to my destination, then I feel having a few more tools available to use if I need them would be a valuable addition. And even though I didn't think I'd ever be saying this, I'm even kicking around a simple autopilot. But because I just love hand flying my plane, that's a bit further down my list.

Oh, and for any of you wondering about using my plane for long cross countries... I've learned that doing trips in these planes is a blast. Sure fast is quicker, but you really get to see the country at 100 mph vs at 200 mph. And there is a special added comfort knowing if something really goes wrong that you know you can pretty much land anywhere. Don't try that in a Glasair. And frankly, I've done enough trips in fast airplanes at altitude. Boring, boring, boring... I prefer the slower plane flying lower, even if it does take me twice as long to get where I'm going, the ride's more fun imho.

And heck, it really is all relative. Look at how many guys have flown J-3 Cubs all over tarnation...at 70 mph no less. Compared to them we're flying rocketships.

Yes Greg, I was referring to the AFS-ACM system. I was told, second hand info, by someone who had apparently talked to the factory that the ACM system was also compatible with Skyview and was planned to be made available for Skyview. This conversation was about a year ago. I was also led to believe that you didn't have to buy the completed panel but could specify the modules you wanted and the wiring harness lengths and then install it in your own panel. A quick call to Dynon factory would clear up what is actually available and when. Obviously a high end option such as this would need factory help and would not be ordered online. I was just trying to include all the possibilities offered by Dynon (and AFS which is part of Dynon). This is way beyond av8rps original questions due to cost, but is a fantastic option for those who can afford it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

av8rps, Dynon Skyview has no annual update costs, unless you want geo-referenced airport diagrams, approach plates, and sectional charts, then you have a $100 annual subscription fee. The updates are very easy to do: You down load the new update onto a USB memory stick from the Dynon website, then take the stick out to your airplane and plug it into the panel, then push a couple of buttons and it uploads into your Skyview system-that's it. Aviation and obstacle database updates come out monthly so you never need to carry up-to-date paper charts-you get this even if you do not opt for the $100 subscription. More extensive software (firmware) updates come out usually several times a year (free), which include new features and bug fixes if necessary.

I've never heard of a Dynon unit turning off due to heat or cold, but maybe someone from more severe climates than mine has other information. The screen is VERY readable in full sunlight, something you struggle with on an iPad. I do think that an iPad is the perfect backup system. The neat thing about a Dynon and iPad combo is that you can take your iPad to your hotel room or home at night and load it up with a new flight plan (in Foreflight) for the next day, and then go to the airplane and upload it to the Skyview wirelessly (a simple $35 option).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    The neat thing about a Dynon and iPad combo is that you can take your iPad to your hotel room or home at night and load it up with a new flight plan (in Foreflight) for the next day, and then go to the airplane and upload it to the Skyview wirelessly (a simple $35 option).
    Jim, I am guessing this is a bluetooth thingy (I'm not very computer savy)? Would an Android type system also be able to do this? Asking because I am a 'thrifty' type flyer and use a Strait Talk Andriod type phone and my tablet is also Andriod. Never fell into the 'i'-crowd and have been perfectly happy with Avare on my phone for a back-up over my AvMap EKP-IV.

You down load the new update onto a USB memory stick from the Dynon website, then take the stick out to your airplane and plug it into the panel, then push a couple of buttons and it uploads into your Skyview system-that's it.
    For what it's worth, these updates are easy, but must be done with a PC. The updates cannot be downloaded to any Apple device. There is a small, free program to download from Dynon's website to accomplish these updates.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve, I have never downloaded a free program from Dynon to accomplish the regular updates. I believe you are referring to the $100 subscription updates which do require a small download program.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

WWhunter, The $35 thingy is a wi-fi adapter, not Bluetooth. I have not used it personally, but from what I read it will work with any tablet, iPad or Android, that has Foreflight Mobile installed. It also works with PocketFMS EasyVFR, SkyDemon, Ozrunways, and FltPlan Go. This is my understanding, but best to check with Dynon before purchase.

Regarding flight plans, I guess I am old fashioned, but I hardly ever put them into my Skyview EFIS. On long x-countrys I do make a flight plan on Skyvector and then print it out on paper. Then as I fly I punch in each new waypoint as I go because it is very easy and quick to do, having all my waypoint identifiers at hand in sequence on the paper printout. With this method I can change my mind or go wander off to see something interesting without having to then spend time staring at my panel to update a preloaded flight plan. The IFR boys probably do use flight plans more religiously.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS