Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: taxi/landing light

Default taxi/landing light

My little led light on the front of my cowl doesnt do the job. Fairly recently i saw mention of a larger led light (par36 led xenon) from amazon that claimed to not cause radio noise so i bought one. Cant find the thread now. But my question is how would you mount it? If anyone has mounted a similar one i would be interested in pics. Someone suggested making a fiberglass tube to have it recessed. The one pic is what i have now and the other two are of the one i want to install in its place.
    Thanks, Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: taxi/landing light

That’s the light I posted sometime back that I have on my rv and many other rv’s are using. Do you have fiberglass wing tips? If so those are one area you could cut out, mount, then make a lens from plexi. You can heat the plexiglass for a few hours at 200 in the oven then turn the temp up a bit to get it to conform to the shape. The few hours at 200 releases all the moisture in the plastic so it doesn’t bubble at higher temps.

Another option would be to make a mount on the inside of the cowl and cutout just for the light. Depending on where you would want it aimed, you could then glass up a tube to streamline it and blend the area. Look for a common household item that is the correct diameter (even pvc pipe) then wrap the tube in plastic packing tape and wax with 3 coats of car wax. Cut the oblong hole with a dremel, taking your time to get a nice fit up here so less glass work in the future. Once it’s perfect slap the tube in and layup a few layers of medium weight glass. Once cured pull the pipe and trim to fit the mount. Fill in the chamfer and smooth with epoxy/flox. Fill any remaining pinholes with straight epoxy then final sand and paint.

So many options

Thanks. Any pics? Doesnt enclosing the light cause it to be too hot? This will be in the cowl.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Good question. Mine is in an aluminum wing and I only use it for landing and recog lights. Cessna has theirs mounted in the cowl on some variants and people put leds in those all the time. Not sure what airflow or temps are like under your cowl. Guess that’s where the experimental concept comes in. Do you have any other acceptable locations that you could put it in? These lights are bright and work great. It’s just hard to get around the mounting unless you made a cutout in the wing like a Stinson. Which may be another acceptable mounting location, just a lot more work with the fabric.

Here is mine.
    Hope they load.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images