Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cabin heat again

Default Re: cabin heat again

I do not have a valve in the heater core line. I didn't in my old plane either. It wasn't necessary. I do have one of Lowell's in line thermostats to the belly radiator on the Mangy, though. This does help in diverting more heat to the core than without.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I can't think of any Kitfoxs that I fly with here in Arizona that have a shut off valve on the heater core. I know I'm not installing one in mine. Not sure we would notice a little extra heat on a 110 degree day anyway.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

HI Jan,

I don't know that it is necessary to try to divert more coolant to the heater.....with the standard setup for our S7...we stay quite comfy in the cabin flying in temps of -15 to -20 C. We do not fly in temps colder than -25 C.

I started out with a shutoff valve to close off the heater in the summer but found that my experience was similar to others who have reported that without a shutoff valve very little heat comes through to the cabin with the fans off...I eventually removed the valve in favor of simplicity and a very small weight reduction.

I can see where a valve which can regulate the water flow would help controlling the cabin temp in those in-between temps as full heat is way too much.

I think the biggest issue in maintaining a comfortable cabin temp in very cold weather is minimizing the number of "pneumonia holes" or cabin leaks.....the current Kitfox model is much easier to tighten up than the earlier versions.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Dave S is right , its the air leaks around the cockpit that get you.
    The standard kf heater kit for my 5 keeps me warm at -20C
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Just as a comparison; the heater core in your car is very similar in size to the standard Kitfox heater core, and the coolant temp flowing thru it is also roughly the same temp. Your car stays warm in very cold temps but the car cabin volume is much bigger than a Kitfox cockpit. I agree the heater is fine, the main problems are the leaks and drafts. The slots and openings in the tail for the stab trim are major scoops of cold air that then blows forward on the back of your neck. Seal these up with some flexible rubber like Floog did and its like doubling your heater size.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Colospace, please post the info on the valve shown in the 3rd picture. Mainly where to get one and size of ports

First, I have to give credit to John Evens for finding this valve. It is from Peterson Fluid Systems (Henderson, CO). My build log just notes it as being -8, push-on. Check their web site petersonfluidsys.com
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon