Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: intercom

Default intercom

no doubt this is a stupid question, but:
    can anyone explane why I should buy me an intercom for my KF IV?
    Rado's do all the things you would like to - but still there are intercoms for sale for large amounts of money...
    What do I miss?

I'm designing panel, so any reaction is welcome!

Default Re: intercom

I had issues with the tower being able to hear me with the 582 screaming in the cockpit. I put in a high noise intercom and since have had no issues talking to other planes and the local towers.

Smile Re: intercom

You should be able to use the intercom built into the radio, but this would require more wiring and a Tx relay (normal/emerg sw) if you used this method you would need to ensure that your headsets are matched. I think the main reason for fitting a intercom is the reduced wiring and therefore reduced costs if you are paying someone to fit it! also most intercoms are voice activated so there is a reduction of noise in the headsets when no one is speaking. In my current aircraft I have used the radio intercom and it works very well but for my Kitfox I will be fitting a voice activated intercom.
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

I use the intercom in my Garmin SL40, voice activated, separate levels for pilot and pax, works very well. I also believe the wiring is simpler than adding an additional intercom but that may be on a case by case basis.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have an intercom as part of my Terra 760 comm radio and it's function is terrible. It will not work well unless there are two identical headsets and then it robs power from the already weak transmissions.

I have mounted and am currently wiring in a separate intercom for (hopefully) better function.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Sounds like the statement "radio's do all the things you would like to" depends on which radio.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Smile Re: intercom

Dorsal
    I agree
    Like all things in life some are better than others and you get what you pay for!!!
    dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Although many radios have an intercom function, any adjustment to volume, squelch, etc. , require digging through several menu buttons to get to the adjustment needed. An intercom makes it most convenient to make instant changes. It does involve a little more wiring and cost up front - which is done once and then it's done.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Mark, i had the opportunaty to obtain an occasion alphatec 903, but I thought it was only suitable for handhelds (used on trikes).
    If I understand you correctly this would be a wise buy - even I do have to do some wiring to my MicroAir..?