Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: GRT Update

Default GRT Update

Hey everyone. If you have a GRT I’m curious if I’m doing something wrong. I’m trying to update my old Sport WS software and all I get is two lines on a black page.

“Starting upgrade thread...
    Waiting for USB storage device...”

It’s been on that screen for quite a while and I can’t find any info except the update instructions online which I followed. Any ideas?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: GRT Update

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Hey everyone. If you have a GRT I’m curious if I’m doing something wrong. I’m trying to update my old Sport WS software and all I get is two lines on a black page.

“Starting upgrade thread...
    Waiting for USB storage device...”

It’s been on that screen for quite a while and I can’t find any info except the update instructions online which I followed. Any ideas?
    Hey Josh,

Does the usb drive only show the new update SportUp.dat file on it in the root directory - can't be in a folder and there can't be other .dat files or .db files in the root directory?

If all that's okay, it could be the file is corrupt and would need to re-download it to the USB drive.

Greg

Hey Greg. There are no other files. The USB stick has two default folders. One DCIM and another for a read only file.

I wasn’t sure if the formatting of the stick required the folders (I’ve ruined SD cards deleting the root folders.) So I saved the update file in the DCIM folder AND in the root directory.

Thinking aloud, maybe I should get rid of the one out of the DCIM or vice versa and try again?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Pretty sure the .dat file needs to be in the root directory. I'd delete the DCIM file. Sounds like it's hanging up trying to read the file. Might try re-downloading the update straight to the USB drive (not copied from somewhere else).

What does the usb drive light do when you insert the stick? Might take a minute for the unit to see it and then should flash rapidly (downloading) and then very slowly when done and then should reboot.

If it doesn't flash rapidly - it's not reading the data - either can't see it or corrupt.

Greg

I reformatted the drive so there were no files and only the .dat file and I’m still getting the same thing. Interestingly, the AHARS updated worked before I formatted so the Efis is seeing the file
    Last edited by Esser; 01-22-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

That is odd! Guess it's time to call GRT support. Maybe the download file is corrupt on their end? Let us know the outcome.

Greg

Try a completely different usb device. I've had this issue trying to update firmware on various devices and sometimes the combo just doesn't work. Could be brand, capacity, or vintage. Try to match what was available when the GRT was new.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I just got back from a week away. I’ll try a different USB device and if that doesn’t work I’ll call GRT
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I got ahold of GRT after trying a couple USB sticks. They recommended Scan Disk Cruzer models. After ordering that brand and model it updated no problem.
    Last edited by Esser; 02-14-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Glad you got it sorted. Now label that stick “GRT” and set it aside for updates.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med