Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: engine choice

Default Re: engine choice

Slowly but surly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have quite the project there. Looks pretty Kool! I hope you have plans for a muffler of some type at the end of that header, or she's gonna sing pretty loud!

Some awfully fancy suspension, too...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

finally had some time to jump back in. as for Honda engines, no doubt they are very highly engineered... with the tolerancing so tight that some of them run 0W and 5W oil, with a robust injection system. many of these engines run 300k miles in cars with no problems if regularly maintained.

so.... what are the differences between a true aircraft piston engine and an auto engine? i found this little gem of an article from 2008 that you all might want to check out:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/arti.../#.Wm3gVJM-fUI

from a demand standpoint, aircraft engines are designed to be a much different animal for some very specific reasons. will the auto engines probably do the job just fine? absolutely. from a longevity standpoint, i am not so sure. i will let the aircraft engine engineers debate the pro's and con's.

i actually work for Honda manufacturing here in Ohio, and would love to have the confidence to be able to fly a Honda engine at 65 to 80% of its duty day in and day out, but would have to guess that the TBO equivalent of an auto engine would have to fall somewhere in the 500 to 1,000 range, maybe lower or higher. and, of the auto engines being flown, i would say that they (Honda) would be top of the heap, HOWEVER.... they are simply not aircraft engines. they are not designed to be ran balls out each and every time they are run.

what would be an interesting experiment would be for lycoming or continental (or rotax for that matter), actually take a 1.5L fit engine and determine what the TBO would be, or even with the modifications which viking does to their engines. i would guess that the results would surprise most of us.

i just don't know guys (and gals). it just seems to me that if safety is the top priority, in good conscience, i just can't bring myself to believe than an auto engine is the way to go.

Well said. My feelings exactly.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Are you in any hurry to find an engine? I am thinking of ordering one of the Edge motors and taking the 912 off my plane. It is an 80 HP with the Extra-Performance 95 HP pistons. Carbs were just rebuilt, the gearbox sent off to Ronnie Smith in Mississippi for thorough check out and re-shimming. I will be selling it after I get a new engine shipped in and ready to install. It has right at 200 hrs. TT +/- but will get an exact time on it when I remove it. I'm 1500 miles from the plane right now so can't give an exact TT.
    No hurry at all. I am trying to see what is out there. (doesn’t appear to be much anyone except Zipper and Wentworth). Just trying to learn as much as I can so I will be a more informed shopper when I want an engine.
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 01-29-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo