Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Mounted the wings and flaperons to make the rigging adjustments before covering. The door alcove on one wall and a window bay on the opposite give just enough room to walk around the plane. Of course, the needed tool is always on the other side of the fuselage. The ubiquitous, "Little Red Shop Stool" gets lots of use sliding back and forth under a wing.

I'm glad I took this sidetrack to rig before covering. It's very easy to reach through the naked fuselage to adjust rods. The downside is the flaperon horns are only secured with clecos and there is some slop. The final adjustment of the connection rods will be made after the flaperons are painted and the horns riveted.

Didn't think to take a picture until the flaperons were removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

looking great Carl.
    I don't understand why we would not be able to pull those flapperon horn rivets at this stage. The holes are drilled and it seems there is no different location that these horns can reside now. Fortunately the control rods are all pretty accessible through the cockpit after cover anyhow.
    Eddie

I agree, it does look great, Carl! I left my flaperon horn rivets out for a long time, knowing that it might be handy to help locate the slotted openings in the turtle deck by inserting some short tubes in the spar tubes of the flaperons that could be telescoped in or out while swinging the flaperons. I finally just went ahead & riveted them to be done with it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Although nowhere near this point in my build, I was thinking along the same lines as you Carl in doing the rigging prior to covering. Unlike you, I don't have the length in my shed to strap the wings on so I'll have to drag it outside to do it. Fortunately, you, Eddie, John, Jeff and others are far enough ahead of me so that I can learn about any pitfalls beforehand. I enjoy reading all your threads. Keep up the great work.
    David
    SS7 Builder

D47

Not enough room in the shed?...No problem!

FWIW - a Local Kitfrox builder completed his bird in a small single car garage...I think a lot of builds take place in smaller places
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Regarding rigging before covering, I believe the build manual tells you to rig the wing sweep, dihedral, washout, jury struts and rudder cables before covering. If you are considering rigging the controls before covering, that really isn't necessary. All control rod end adjustments are easily accessible after covering, except for the elevator idler arm located in the tailcone. However even this is easily accessed if you put one of those round inspection covers right underneath it on the belly. You will want to do this anyway for future access during annual inspections/lubrication.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I started to go ahead a rivet the control horn but something nagged from the manual so I double checked. The suggestion is to wait until after painting to rivet so the paint doesn't gum up the nylon bearings. I've become so accustom to seeing the clecos sticking out of the horn, maybe I should make tiny little, "Remove Before Flight" ribbons.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Yep, I'll have to do what you did Dave. I have enough room outside the shed, although without the snow !. We dont see the white stuff here in Australia unless you head for the hills ... and even then ... and I think if you're keen enough, you'd do a build in a closet!

You're right Jim about the rigging, but like Carl, I like the idea of ease of access to everything with no covering. Having said that though, I'll do a double check again after covering. A bit of "measure twice, cut once" . Also good advice on the access hole under the rear elevator idler - thanks.
    David
    SS7 Builder

OK, I'll admit. I will be the one to answer the question about whether you can rivet the horn in before the glass goes on. In a lapse of concentration, I went ahead and riveted the left flapperon horn before I read the manual again and noticed I should have waited. So, I have one side riveted and the Right side still clecoed.

Just a few more items to complete before starting covering. Really looking forward to seeing airfoil surfaces rather than the internal bones and ribs.

I'm trying not to drive my self nuts figuring out mounting locations for two pieces of equipment - an Artex ELT 345 and a Garmin GTX-45R Remote Transponder.

There are several examples of other builders' installations with fabricated mounts secured to the frame with clamps. A big consideration is how easy it will be to service the devices down the road. While moving the ELT from place to place, it occurred to me just how simple it would be to mount both units on the inside floor of the cargo bay. Run bolts up from the bottom of the floor, secure with nyloc nuts, rest a fender washer on top, then the equipment mount and final nylocs to secure. A grounding cable would be required but I was planning on that anyway.

I don't envision carrying a lot of cargo so the room wouldn't be missed. This seems like such a simple solution. Am I missing something?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X