Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to locate a Kitfox built by my Grandfather

Default Re: Trying to locate a Kitfox built by my Grandfather

Any information, suggestions, and/or leads are greatly appreciated. If you'd rather not have it public, please feel free to PM or email me at johnrconway4@gmail.com

Thanks Again!
    John

Seems the trail has gone cold for the moment......

I was able to speak with Mr. Roche and he is the builder of that Fox. He couldn't think of anyone in the area that has or had one either.

The manager of Beatrice airport, Diane, was incredibly helpful but no leads there either. We chatted for 15 minutes and she was kind enough to go thru her records and see if the Kitfox was ever based there. (No luck). What a great lady! She was racking her brain trying to help.

So the search continues!

On a side note: My family and I live in NW Houston and luckily were unscathed by Harvey. If anyone here was affected and needs any kind of help, please let me know.

Best Regards!

Hope the trail gets warm again John. Thanks also for the offer to help in the Harvey disaster. My niece and her family are in N. E. Houston but so far have not had major damage. Very lucky so far. What a mess.
    "Houston, we have a problem."

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My next step in the search would be to look up contact info for both public and private airports in and around Gage county. Some calls may lead you right to it. I'd bet it was pranged and is sitting in a hangar or barn in the area.

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=36....99.776&zoom=10

After much time, too much I guess, I located the old Fox. I called John to let him know but he had already purchased another one of his grandfathers planes and was no longer interested in the Fox. So, I bought it back and brought it home to Wa with me.

It was sitting in a hangar in central NE for quite some time. The fellow that bought it from me never did transfer the paperwork and let it expire so I am renewing it now. I talked to the FAA and they said no problem with it. He had the right rudder pedal start pealing off of the torque tube after landing one day, causing it to go around on him when he was almost completely stopped. He was going so slow when it went around on him that there was no other damage than the rudder pedal. Prop didn't hit the ground, wing didn't get scratched, no bent tubes, and no wrinkled fabric. His mechanic moved shortly after leaving him with 2 planes in the hangar that he hasn't flown for years now.

And now since the time I agreed to buy it back, the private strip close to me has now closed to public traffic. Go figure huh? Hangar rent is too expensive here and i'll rarely use it now since I have to trailer it back and forth to a much more distant airstrip. That strip has radio requirements, usage fees, and special operating parameters. The owner literally watches out his window and critiques anybody that he can over anything he wants to. Not my idea of enjoyable, recreational flying.

So now I'd like to pass it on to someone else that wants a light project that will get them in the air quickly.

I've put it on barnstormers if anyone is interested in it:
    https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_mana...php?ID=1341019
    Aaron

Aaron, are the last two pictures in the ad current? Would it be possible to get current pictures, including interior? My email, below. Will be out this afternoon until Monday morning.

jonr(atsymbol)mcgg.net

Sorry, I don't check in here very often.
    The kitfox has been sold again and went to a new home in Idaho.

This time, I sent in a bill of sale with the registration renewal so hopefully it will get out of my name when it gets processed
    Aaron

Hello All!

Just wanted to say thank you to the teamkitfox community for all of your help and support in tracking down the Fox that my Grandfather built.

It sure was a fun experience just seeing where it has been and what it has become. Thanks for all of the encouragement and time spent helping in the search. A special thanks to Aaron who was the key to unlocking the mystery. His restoration looks amazing and hopefully it keeps the old bird flying for a long time!

Recently, I had an opportunity to purchase the second plane my Grandfather built. I was lucky enough to spend some time both building and flying this plane with Grandpa, so I am overjoyed at the idea of keeping it in the family and teaching the third generation to fly.

Best of luck to all of you and my sincerest thanks!

-John