Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KitFox S5 Value Question

Default KitFox S5 Value Question

How much would a 1997 S5 “slow build” kit have cost back then?

Does anyone have a 1997 S5 inventory/packing list they could share?

Trying to value an older ac for sale and wanna make sure I’m not overpaying.

Also, anyone have an idea what a factory rebuilt zero time Lycoming O-235-L2C would cost?

Thanks,

D

Default Re: KitFox S5 Value Question

http://www.airpowerinc.com/productca...33&prodID=9481
    I'm guessing you are referring to the Vixen on barnstormers.com...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I assume you are talking about an unfinished kit.

That's an interesting approach you are using to determine the value of the kit. Maybe you could look at this another way. A model 5 is not a whole lot different than the model 7 (if it is indeed a 1550# gross weight kit). You could compare this kit and components to what new SS7 kit and components cost today. Total the value in today's $ and decide what % of that you are willing to pay. I would suggest paying 25-50% of new depending on condition.

If there are extra parts included you need to decide if they are of any value, especially older instruments, lighting and avionics. If you aren't going to use them than they don't have much value and you probably won't be able to sell them either.

Another way to value it is to come up with a total cost to buy the kit and estimate everything else you will need to complete it (engine, prop, avionics, etc). FYI you will always underestimate this so pad the amount by 10-25%. Compare this to the cost of a comparable used model 5 and see if it is worth building verses buying a used plane.

As far as the Lycoming O-235 you should be able to find prices online from overhaul shops or Lycoming.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I ordered my S5 kit (1550) in October 1997. Kit was invoiced 2/10/98. Invoice amount was $14,958.10 plus $850.00 freight to Georgia. It had quick build wing and grove gear. Looks like the QB wing option added $1450, included in above. Hope this helps.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Phil is right. The cost of the kit in 1997 is completely irrelevant to the current value. Sort of like the price for a brand new Mustang in 1965 has nothing to do with the current value. All that matters is what the current market values it at, and Phil's approach gets to that as directly as possible.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Well, here was the thought.....I don’t believe the value of a kit appreciates......so, my starting offer would have to be on something that is already 20 years old. A certain amount of components will probably be missing or not worth installation. Not saying that there isn’t value, just gotta determine what it is.

I have seen some flying KF5s advertised for sale in the $40k range. That being said, those ac would have even less value to me as I would not buy someone else’s build. But it helps bracket the number.

Thank you for the input, I do appreciate your thoughtful response.

D

David E., thanks for the reply. That was exactly what I was looking for.

NADA, KBB Edmunds only helps set a starting point for a car value. Most things need a start point to establish a current value. In the end, only 2 things matter in the transaction. How much a buyer is willing to pay and how desperate the seller is.

Thank you all for the replies.

D

If it’s a kit and the wing sweep hasn’t been set I’d pass on thr Lyc. That’s about 100lbs extra weight over the Rotax.

Check the wing spar wall thickness. Spar walls at .058 are 1400lb gross weight. The 1550 gross wt spars have .063 wall thickness. If the spars are 1400 gw and the wing has not been started, the spars can be replaced.
    As for the engine, these airframes will handle the lyc/conti engines just fine. There are many flying with Lycomings and Continentals. If it was a bad idea, Skystar or Kitfox, would not support them.
    Check the link I posted for the value of a factory reman O-235. Cost of the engine alone is the price for the entire kit.
    If I were looking, I would give this serious consideration.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Having bought and sold a few airplanes over the past 30+ years, I agree with the guys that stated original cost has little to nothing to do with its current value. Kitfox airplanes seem to be the 'hot' item right now. Thank of course to a certain youtuber!
    I think the seller has that priced pretty good and if a buyer doesn't want to go with the Lyc, it could easily be sold and a lot of money recouped. Since the KF5 is pretty close in structure to the new 7, you are basically getting the engine and tools for free. The longer you try to find the deal of the century, the longer it will be before you are flying. So many buyers try to bargain their way into an airplane, only to find that the plane has sold by the time they have made up their mind to agree on the price. If you feel the price is too high, move on and find something within your budget mindset. Life goes by way too fast.