Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What battery type do you run?

Default Re: What battery type do you run?

I have a 4 year old aerovoltz 16 on a 912. I ran the battery down to 10v the other day now I can't get it charged back up. Any suggestions?

EarthX lithium batteries are kind of the standard now. They are compact and light. Not the cheaest option though. https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx680c
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I had an Aerovotz lithium-iron battery and after 3.5 years one cell would not balance, even though I was using a balancing charger. So I replaced it with the EarthX from Kitfox and have been very happy with it. More cranking power, built-in cell balancing and safety circuitry, connection for a fault LED in the cockpit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just as a point of interest, you can also use that same battery fault line to send a signal to your EFIS for a battery fault warning. Maybe the Garmin & Dynon units have a specific warning input but for the MGL EFIS I designed a fault warning light. When there is a fault the voltage drops to zero on that line, so it's a simple matter of telling the EFIS that 12V is normal but illuminate the warning when it drops below, for instance, 9V.

Just in case you have an EFIS and don't want another light in the panel but would like the warning.

I bought a Battery warning light before I knew the EarthX battery can hook directly to my G3X. Fortunately I had not drilled another hole in the panel for it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X