Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing rotation jigs

Default Re: Wing rotation jigs

Here is a pic of some PVC jigs that were given to me. They worked great!
    The pivot point has a long carriage bolt with a wingnut. I think it is 3/8”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Okay here's the other end of the spectrum. My "Poor man's" wing rotating jig. Note the stick with the slingshot end used to prop up the PVC tube to keep it from rotating while working on it. Also a hole in the PVC elbow to feed the pitot tubing through then cover it with a plastic bag when spraying.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I did the same, pvc pipe and a couple of sawhorses. worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    Thanks for the pictures and links! So, how much does a wing section weigh? What size PVC pipe is that. I am sure someone already has that in a post, but I just came in from stacking firewood and haven’t gone back through all of the responses. I am down to my last 143 days till it get here, and I want to be ready!
    It's 1.5" PVC. Someone indicated that you could put a 1.5" coupler on the end which would make it snug up better in the rear spar. Whatever brand were available at our hardware store were too big, but the amount of play is actually perfect with just the 1.5 inch PVC. You don't need them to be a tight fit, and a loose fit allows your alignment between the end fixtures to be less critical. Don't overthink the fixtures too much. However you get some 1.5 inch pvc segments 27.5 inches apart will probably be fine.

A wing weighs maybe 40 pounds I guess. I can easily pick one up and turn it over or carry it easily by myself. I'm a skinny old man.

Actually the only thing I used the rotater Jigs for was to spray the coatings. For all other covering work I made and used the padded sawhorses as instructed in the polyfiber manual.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

If someone has already answered, sorry for asking again. About what is the inside diameter of the wing spar (what size PVC for the rotisserie)

And thanks for the info on the weight of the wing sections. I am trying to build this upstairs in my detached garage and then move it downstairs for the final assembly. Any guesses on fuselage weight with all the hardware installed (no engine or engine mount) for the same reason. I have a hoist, but don’t know if there are any safe lift points on the wing and fuselage to use for hoisting up and down.

Does anyone use any rotisserie type stuff for the fuselage? I assume it would be handy for painting the belly, but what about construction?
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 01-10-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Congratulations on the order!

It's funny there has not emerged a "standard" way of building the wing rotisseries. Here are mine. The spacing on the spars is 27.5". I built them before the kit arrived, and they work beautifully.

Is the spacing from hole center to hole center, or between the spars?

It is center to center.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

some people build an airframe rotisserie. I just used the method depicted in the manual. 2X4s bolted to the firewall.. Its very simple to tip it onto its side and upside down. The flipping of the frame is needed far less frequently than the wings.
    Eddie

To rotate my airframe I put a piece of plywood on the front using the engine mount holes and bolts. I cut about 6" off each corner at a 45 degree angle. This worked really well during painting. I could grab and rotate it with the plywood. I had a sawhorse with padding under the tail too so it could just turn and stay on the pad. I considered rounding the corners, but actually liked how I could make it stop at 45 degrees. I felt like I had better control.

To rotate my wings I had simple PVC pieces that inserted into the ends of the spars. When I wanted to rotate the wing I would move one sawhorse out from under both PVC pipes to the single pipe. Then I went to the other end, which was still on both pipes and pick it up to rotate the wing. When I put it back down that end was still on both pipes to prevent it from rotating. Then I went back to the other end and put the sawhorse under both pipes.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016