Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 582 High EGT'S HELP

Default Re: 582 High EGT'S HELP

How does your exhaust look? Any leaks at the joints or gaskets? Any chance the can is partially plugged? Seems like an odd one. Really shouldn't have to move the needle position by more than one position from stock.

Carb socket health (lack of deterioration and health) is another good thing to look at.

Having one side behave differently than the other almost sounds like synchronization. Double check both slides are at the same position together. Both slide cutouts should reach the top edge of the throat at the same time

Are you confident in your engine RPM? Don't trust the original units they can be off quite a bit. If you haven't done it already toss a Tini Tach on it. Cheap and easy to install.

Other than that it might be an air leak somewhere or maybe a fuel delivery problem. Have you accomplished a compression check recently. If not might be worth a double check.

I pic of your install might help as well.
    Last edited by LSaupe; 10-20-2017 at 06:15 PM.

No exhaust leaks or intake boot leaks. I don't have pics but it is either new or done right on that stuff. I don't know if silencer could be plugged. I did think about checking the float level. It is about the only thing I could think of. I did see that the slides open at the same time.

I have the tiny tac and mgl which both agree on rpm. Compression checked at 130 both cylinders.

Sounds like a tough one. For the slides, it not really that they open at the same time, but where they are in relation to each other when the slide cutaway reaches the top of the throat. Usually just advance the throttle until the first one reached the top and make sure the other one gets there at the same time.

Other things to look at if you hadnt already,

Pulse line on your fuel pump. Make sure that it is the correct material (this is different than standard fuel line). Sometimes it can get soft and flex the tube vice the diaphragm in the pump and make the pump behave badly at times or lower its capacity.

Pulse line length, should be as short as possible

Pump diaphragm, these can sometimes leak enrichening the pulse side of the engine or if it pumps air into the fuel pump cause other issues.

If you have clear carb fuel lines installed do a ground run and make sure you dont see any bubbles coming through downstream of the pump.

You mat have already done this, but always worth swapping the carb positions to see of the problem moves with the carbs.

Has the engine ever been through a rebuild? If so, might be work finding out more of those details. Not sure if an improperly indexed rotary valve would behave in this manner. Just odd that one EGT is higher than the other by 100F. How does it look at other throttle positions? Say from 4500 through 6500.

Yep, float height could be a player as well, as well as needle and seat.

You might have noticed that there was a float recall recently for those carbs. Make sure your floats are still floating fully and that you have the newest floats. I had an issue with that problem. New floats helped a great deal. Also installed new needles and seats.

Have you ever tied the plane down securely and run the engine wide open to see what max static revs are ?

Here is further detail on the floats:

A NEW Alert Service Bulletin has been issued which applies to a very limited range of 912, 914, and 2-stroke engines, as well as any engines which have been equipped with ROTAX part number 861185 floats during engine repair, maintenance or general overhaul as of May 09, 2016.

Due to manufacturing deviations, certain 861185 carburetor floats supplied as spare parts after May 9th, 2016, and/or installed on specific serial number engines and carbs (see the ASBs for specific serial number ranges), may have the outer surface "peel" or “flake” from engine vibration.

Serial number ranges are detailed in ASB-912-069 / ASB-914-051 (certified engines) and ASB-912-069UL / ASB-914-051UL / ASB-2ST-003 (UL engines).

Affected floats must be replaced with current-issue 861185 floats, which are now marked with three dots for positive identification.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos.../459-asb912069

I think I figured it out. I found that the choke cable on the one carb was to tight allowing it to be engaged a little. I fixed that and it appears to be way better. Egts match and do not exceed 1200 at any rpm. It is still rough at lower rpms but I believe I may be able to solve that with tunning the pilot jets and airscrews??? I'm waiting for better weather for more testing.

It fixed the stumbling in the midrange completely. I have it pitched now for 6200-6300 on climb out. Is that about right?

Seems a little low on climb out (maybe more like 6400-6500) though I know some who run there. Anticipate it to run rough below say around 2500 rpm. I only go below during shut down and initial start up then bring it up to 2500 to stop the gearbox chatter.

Roger that. Right now it is a little rough up to like 3200 but I have in 60 pilots while troubleshooting. I have 45's I think I'm going to try. That should make that better right?? That also g with air screw adjustment. How many turns are you running.