Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clogged fuel lines

Default Clogged fuel lines

I'd like to begin the process of bringing a 824KF back to life after languishing in my garage for 4 years. I mailed the carbs out for a rebuild and now I need to deal with old congealed fuel in the fuel lines. She has a mix of metal and rubber fuel lines. My first inclination was to pull out and redo all the lines for safety sake. Is this overkill? Is there a safe way to clean it all out?

Default Re: Clogged fuel lines

My suggestions is to replace the rubber lines, no matter what.
    While you've got them off figure out a way to shoot some carb cleaner or something equally solvent down the metal fuel lines from both ends. That should clean any varnish out and you will know if there is a blockage.
    Use a lot of towels and drip trays to protect the finish of your bird.
    Get some new fuel filters installed when you're all done and things are nice and clean.
    Kitfox IV - 1200 (1994) #1830
    Rotax 912
    Grove Gear, Wheels, Brakes
    22" Desser Tundra Tires

might be a good idea before your replace the the hoses to rinse out the tanks with some fresh alc free gas . also when you replace the rubber hoses be sure to use the low permeation type hose .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by rdooley79 View Post
    My suggestions is to replace the rubber lines, no matter what.
    To be clear; Are you suggesting that you don't like rubber lines at all and should be replaced with metal or just that they don't stand up well to old fuel?

I'm saying that if you have old gas it's easy and fairly inexpensive to replace your rubber hoses as they can crack over time. It's a good thing to do if you're going to all this effort to make sure the plane has a nice new fuel system. cheap too considering how much aircraft cost. Plus you'll have nice clean hoses.
    Kitfox IV - 1200 (1994) #1830
    Rotax 912
    Grove Gear, Wheels, Brakes
    22" Desser Tundra Tires

Comments offered are right on track. The low permeation hoses we can get now are great as they don't smell up the cabin where the hose lines run through the cabin.

FWIW - lacquer thinner makes a really good soak/solvent/flush for the metal parts and metal tubes to dissolve the crud left by the old gas - Acetone is good too. Don't want to have either get on any good rubber parts intended to be used. Both solvents can be inexpensive compared to carb cleaner.

Probably not a bad idea to follow Kitfox's recommendation for flushing new tanks on the ones which have sat with old gas in them. Pretty sure others mignt be able to offere advice on cleanihg up tanks on Series IVs.

Interesting on the rubber hoses - Rotax advises 5 year replacement on these - however, they say nothing about the rubber hoses that are not part of engine - guess they don't give a rat's elbow if any of us has trouble from stuff they might not get sued for

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

I'm waking up my IV after the last owner let her set for 10 years. The rubber hoses are all going to go! The hoses from the tank to the header tank are hard as rocks! My problem is the header tank is half full and there is no low point drain. What the @$%& was the builder thinking? So now I have that to fix as well. My question is, what hose should I use from the tanks to header tank?

Goodyear barricade is talked about a lot on this forum . I used Parker series 39705 super flex which is also low permeation with good results . I'm sure there are other brands also .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I have replaced all my black rubber hoses with polyurethane gas lines.

They are see thru and are classically used on motorcycles and hot rods and can be purchased from those types of suppliers. No gas smell in the cabin.

This product can be purchased in clear, blue, red, green and there maybe other colors as well.

Aircraft Spruce handles this but is limited in sizes.

Below is just one site that handles this product in multiple sizes but there are many if you do a search for this product.

http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/fu...l_filters.html

War Eagle,

Just had a buddy make an emergency landing due to fuel in the cockpit. He had the blue poly hoses. They had literally just disintegrated and allowed fuel to spill all over the cabin. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the plane in person. We use to use that fuel line on snowmobiles because it would remain very flexible in cold temps. The strangest thing is the hose was still flexible right around where they broke.

Either way with any fuel system, I don't believe it's bad practice to go through and replace all the hoses like that every few years. Cheap insurance