Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: kitfox classic 4 speedster tail problem

Default Re: kitfox classic 4 speedster tail problem

Thank's Josh for your plan...

tail post modif.jpg

i make this... it's work for the first on but for the second and third...not...

so when i coming back to work i do the job,,,with picture ....

thank's to all

tail post mk4.jpg

Looks good JF...goodluck!

so...after more reflections..i take decision to remove the speedster rib's..
    but i decide to check if it work with the rib's one inch inside the rudder,before to remove that.....
    so yerterday i gluing the first and last rib's in rudder and i try for 30 degre of movement .....the result it's not bad......i take some pic to show you later..maybe tonight..

that's looking very good..
    i need to move all rib's in rudder to the rear like that

i re drill a 3/8'' hole at the tip of rib when i locate is position with the fiber fairing
    and after i trim each side ....

to make sure all's fit correctly i glue the first rib and the last one to make sure i have the 30 degre of movement...

i dont check this solution in first because the gap between the vertical and rudder are to much versus normal speedster tail......but it better like that than nothing....thank's to all for your interest to my problem...

I wish I had checked the fit and movement of my rudder before covering. I thought, what could go wrong? Looking at the video, I don't feel so confident anymore. Well, we"ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by mr bill View Post
    I wish I had checked the fit and movement of my rudder before covering. I thought, what could go wrong? Looking at the video, I don't feel so confident anymore. Well, we"ll see.
    You can have easy 1/8"to 1/4" of adjutment after...with the rod end and his nut.....

Looks like that more or less will work mechanically. Your choice, but I would have still fixed it with extended bushings. Now the hinge rotation point is at the front of the rudder leading edge so you have to have gap to prevent interference as it swings where as if it was fixed as designed you would have the leading edge pivoting about the hinge centered at the radius of the rudder leading edge and thus no changing gap space or interference as the rudder swings. I think you may regret doing what you did when the gap looks funny after everything is done. Fixing the bushings as designed is a little work, but I think it would be worth it. Just my opinion. I'm sure what you got will be airworthy.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 05-26-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    Looks like that more or less will work mechanically. Your choice, but I would have still fixed it with extended bushings. Now the hinge rotation point is at the front of the rudder leading edge so you have to have gap to prevent interference as it swings where as if it was fixed as designed you would have the leading edge pivoting about the hinge centered at the radius of the rudder leading edge and thus no changing gap space or interference as the rudder swings. I think you may regret doing what you did when the gap looks funny after everything is done. Fixing the bushings as designed is a little work, but I think it would be worth it. Just my opinion. I'm sure what you got will be airworthy.
    just before to starting to remove all ribs in vertical i look some pictures of normal(flat) tail...and the gap between is about 1'' to 1 1/2''....so that what append in my brain....the gap space like i did it's mucho better....and my tail is really desing like that..i dont know why..but i have 2 type of tail in my book...one with 4 long bushing..one with 4 short bushing..mine are 3 short bushings...and like that everything work great ...i have 30 degre of movement and all my rod end are tight...if i but that with long bushing i need to modify the stopper .....so after talking with some old pilots....(Cub Pilot)..i decide to make less modif i can...for the time to do and what it give..(better autority at low speed ?)...but finally it dont find that to bad..