Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

I learned to fly on steam and have flown the last 13 years on steam. The thing that amazes me about glass is how much information you can disseminate at a glance with out looking all over your panel. Not as important VFR flying but it's pretty neat.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

OK maybe I am a glass junky, but I feel I should stick up for the glass even in a VFR panel. First of all I can't imagine building a beautiful VFR Kitfox and not considering taking it on some long x-country's, the therefore you need some kind of navigation. Yes you can use paper and pilotage, but what a self-imposed handicap. Or, many folks say I will use my iPad w/Foreflight. Again, what a self-imposed handicap with its tendency to overheat & shut down, hard to read in sunlight and glare, jury rigged mounting, subscription costs, etc. Why not an aircraft quality, built-in screen with free database updates and free firmware updates (try that with an iPad). I've been using my Dynon Skyview for 4 years now and itis still as up-to-date as ever at no additional cost to me. I have a hunch that the folks with steam gauges and iPads will have spent as much as I or more over the years in replacing obsolete iPads and subscription costs, and repairing failure prone gyro instruments.

I'm trying to be good natured here and I totally understand the nostalgia thing. Just thought the other camp needed explanation.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Smile Re: VFR panel ideas ??

Nice Jim.
    I was just speculating. Glad to hear that its all still current. I thought that maybe since I bought the stuff a year ago and still no plans to use it for about one more year I may be looking at outdated stuff just as it starys getting use.

So, help me out here since I don't know the answer. What is the difference in weight between a basic steam panel (like pictured in post # 18) and a single panel glass system? I hear guys talking about it but wonder if it is enough to even be part of the decision making process and it has not entered into this thread. Thanks.

Maybe some of the guys with the much older D10/180 Dynon panels can chime in, but I believe Dynon is still supporting these old panels with free software updates.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ramos, I can't quote any numbers and it would depend on if you are comparing to a full 6-pack or partial steam panel, but there is a definite weight savings with solid state glass panel, especially if your glass includes engine instrumentation and remote transponder. Of course if you add steam style backup instruments (which you shouldn't need much of for VFR) it cuts down the weight savings.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
    So, help me out here since I don't know the answer. What is the difference in weight between a basic steam panel (like pictured in post # 18) and a single panel glass system? I hear guys talking about it but wonder if it is enough to even be part of the decision making process and it has not entered into this thread. Thanks.
    It will be very variable... so many possibilities both ways. Don't forget to include the weight of components not mounted directly on the panel but necessary to make the glass panel display work also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Did I also mention Skyview is fully compatible and ready for ADS-B both OUT and IN. If your system already includes the Dynon remote mode S transponder, ADS-B OUT can be had for a simple $600 changeout of the GPS antenna. ADS-B IN with free traffic, weather, TFR's, etc. can be added with a small $800 module and a small Xponder style antenna. My system that I purchased 4.5 years ago was fully compatible and ready for these simple additions.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

So I'm having a bit each way. I thought long and hard about this before I bought stuff. I'm using a 8.5" MGL lite screen, above which I have steam 2 1/4" asi and alt. I get engine gauges and all the other flight instrument stuff that goes with glass. But my panel isn't about redundancy in case of electrics out, it's about what I'm comfortable with. And imho, that's as it should be for anyone designing their panel. Maybe in time I'll flick the steam gauges and go purely glass, but right now, that's my story.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Just a question about what others have done for the glare shield overhang (particularly for a glass panel). I am about to trim mine and had been thinking of up to a 2" overhang to insure good shading. I'm now thinking this would be excessive but, thinking 1" would be too little, I'm envisioning a 1.5" overhang. Any feed back as to what others have done or think on this matter would be appreciated.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon