Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel collector tank change tips needed

Default Fuel collector tank change tips needed

Hi guys. I've burned these forums up asking for help bringing an old Mod IV back to life. My main concern, besides the engine, is the fuel system. I assume the wing tanks are dry as the collector tank behind the seat is only 1/3 full. But what is in that tank is very, very dark. I see there is a new aluminum tank available from Kitfox. Is it a must have if I'm going to remove the old tank for inspection anyway? I've read that the old tanks leaked a bit making a stink.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Default Re: Fuel collector tank change tips needed

the aluminum tank is standard now and does not weep, fixed our poly tank twice before replacing it with the aluminum tank. well worth it.

I agree it is worth it.

Jim

When you say the poly tank weeps is it the fittings or the tank. So far I have had no problems but one fitting needed to be re-sealed after the first 30 hours. I now have 90 hours and so far no issues with smells or leaks. I will go with aluminum if I do have problems though.
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

Dan I have a 10 year old Series 5 that had the original poly tank. I always had a persistent 100LL smell in the cockpit when I first would open the door. Early on I thought it must be a leak somewhere , but never could find one and just came to realize that the smell must be permeating through the tank.On my last condition inspection, I replaced the poly tank with the aluminum one and the smell has gone away. Bruce N199CL

Thanks for the info Bruce, I plan on replacing my fuel hoses at the condition inspection in May and will probably up grade to an aluminum header tank at that time.
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying