Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Safety trim wiring in parallel

Default Re: Safety trim wiring in parallel

Thanks for all your input Greg, it’s appreciated. Slowly starting to get my head around everything electrical.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Josh, the motor is unmarked. You will in fact need to ask John. Am I erroneously recalling that I got the electrical wire to that servo motor directly from Kitfox in the kit? I don't remember ever buying this gray cable. Let us know what John says if you don't mind.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Josh, the motor is unmarked. You will in fact need to ask John. Am I erroneously recalling that I got the electrical wire to that servo motor directly from Kitfox in the kit? I don't remember ever buying this gray cable. Let us know what John says if you don't mind.
    Eddie
    Now that you mention it, I recall there being grey cable with multiple conductors in the casing. Is this for the trim motor? Noth8ng is said in the instructions. When I get home from work I’ll check it out
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I am not going to get involved in this discussion because I only know enough to be dangerous. I just want to make one comment, and that is the wire gauge/amps/length tables are based on an allowable temp rise; so there are several tables depending on how much temp rise is allowable, usually based on the wires insulation type. I THINK Greg is quoting values based on a 10C temp rise which is very conservative for aircraft wiring with Tefzel insulation. Also remember this application is for very temporary duty-usually much less than 5 seconds on-time. IMHO the 18 ga. wire is just fine for 7 amps and 10'.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Panel

I am about to start my panel layout, has anyone used a CAD type program that has the Kitfox panel available? I was looking at Solid Works as an EAA member but I am having trouble downloading onto my MAC.

Regarding using a Mac (I copied this from a website):

The simple answer is that SOLIDWORKS do not develop an Apple Mac version of the software, so we can’t install SOLIDWORKS natively.

We used to recommend the Bootcamp route, which involves installation of Bootcamp and then Microsoft Windows on the partition Bootcamp creates. The issue here is that if you need to access the Apple Mac Operating System (OS), you would need to shut down windows and boot up the Apple Mac OS, because they cannot be running simultaneously. This allows the full use of the hardware (RAM and graphics card) you have in your Apple Mac for Windows.

The alternative solution that we used to steer people away from is Parallels, a virtual machine software that allows you to run another OS inside the Mac OS (inside a window). The reason for not recommending this is that you are sharing the resource of the machine with two operating systems, thus not necessarily having the required resource to run a demanding program like SOLIDWORKS.

There were also historic problems with not being able to use the graphics card properly which would result in exceptionally slow performance when selecting things. This is due to most Macs not having certified graphics cards for SOLIDWORKS and parallels using a virtual graphics card driver or the default Windows driver. The virtual or generic drivers don’t offer the level of performance needed to run SOLIDWORKS correctly.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I used SketchUp. It’s a great program once you get past the learning curve. The catch is you need the professional version to export CAD files. You can down load the regular version, do all your design, and then get the professional 30 day trial and export the CAD file. Works great on Mac. This what I did for mine I just got a whole new panel cut for $100 instead of using the kitfox supplied one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I made and still have AutoCad .dwg and .dxf files for my SS7 panel that I would be willing to share. If you have AutoCad you can erase my cutouts and put in your own. The exterior outline should be the same.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank you for the suggestions, if you would like to send the files that would be great.

Send me a PM and give me your email address. This forum doesn't allow posting files of this type.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS