Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the Kitfox Forum

Default Re: New to the Kitfox Forum

25k is what is currently listed on KF site for the SS7

Base price. Add the options. Dual brakes. Adjustable rudder pedals. Etc. etc. want a heater? Lights. All costs money that’s not included in the base kit. Then go to page 10 where you’ll see $4795 for a firewall forward kit.

Not knocking it. It is what it is but it’s nownere near $25k for a Kitfox minus engine.

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    Base price. Add the options. Dual brakes. Adjustable rudder pedals. Etc. etc. want a heater? Lights. All costs money that’s not included in the base kit. Then go to page 10 where you’ll see $4795 for a firewall forward kit.

Not knocking it. It is what it is but it’s nownere near $25k for a Kitfox minus engine.
    Correct. I thought the other costs were touched on on a previous page.

Yes Guppy there has been some inflation Im certain. my engine lists for about $1300 more than I paid. I paid for everything 3 years ago. My list was not exhaustive. I couldn't possibly list everything that added up to my stated costs. I in fact did not state the firewall forward cost. Now are we approaching at least Mid 80Ks. The KF doesn't have to be decked out for it to be a blast to fly. If you need to keep well under this amount then just build it old school. They are just as gratifying.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

If you make all your decisions based on marginal costs, it adds up fast. "Gosh the autopilot is already built into the EFIS, so I would just need to buy there servos..."

Then you'll read things here or see someone else's plane and realize you really did want the in-panel espresso machine, so you call Debra.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I remember John McBean saying a few years ago to plan on $25k for the kit, $25k for the engine and $25k for the avionics and "other" things. It was good advice and I took it to mean the bare minimums. That was a while ago so the $75K has probably gone up to $85-90K.

The price keeps going up form there as you upgrade the engine, prop, avionics, tires, fabric (Oratex), autopilot, the expresso machine, etc.

No matter how well you budget and plan it is going to cost a little more. You are going to find you need more tools, supplies, another gallon of paint, etc. Even the best laid plan should expect an extra 10% in cost.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

If your really good at rationalizing you just say that all the miscellaneous costs are just the cost of living life. What would I have spent going out to do things other than spending time in the garage having a blast building a damn plane of all things! Some tape here some Denatured alcohol there some PVC pipe and plastic sheet for a paint booth. Eh, would have been spent anyhow had I gone up to the mountains for the weekend to camp or ski or whatever I have not done in the past 2 years. Just get started, Live a little.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ya, costs will balloon I'm sure. Still, having a good plan and and working hard to stick to it, one cold still build it at about 80k.

Not to be nosy, but how many people were able to pay for their kits without a loan of some kind? Did ya'll have the money just saved up and bought it, or did some have to use a loan for the whole thing?

I already had a rainy day fund saved up. And it certainly wasnt earning much interest in the bank. But i was able to get my SS7 done for about $55k. I already had an O-200 that i rebuilt myself. I only have about $12k in the engine. And i wanted steam gauges, half of which are used. As well as a used comm and transponder. I have less than $5k in my panel. And my wife is good at sewing so she made the seats, interior and baggage sack.
    It's all in what you want and how resouceful you are.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Forgot to mention another note on finances. Back a few years when i bought a piper cherokee and didnt have all the money i got a home equity line of credit and that worked out well because they didnt have to know what the money was being used for and its interest rate was low.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind