Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the Kitfox Forum

Default New to the Kitfox Forum

Hello all

Glad to be here. Hoping to build or buy a Kitfox in the next few years.

I live in Montrose Colorado and would love to fly the Western Slope and into Utah, New Mexico and Wyoming.

Looking to buy or build a top of the line Kitfox, with a fuel injected / turbo engine for power at altitude. Open to partnering with someone in my area if we had similar mindsets and finances. Would like to keep the plane at KMTJ.

I am a licensed pilot, single engine land, no tailwheel. Like to start with tri gear and then see if it's necessary to switch over to tailwheel configuration. Have a bit more than a hundred hours logged as PIC, and more time informally.

I've created a spreadsheet with all the costs I think would be involved in building a Kitfox, and am working on tightening up the numbers and also comparing the different models available and also the factory-built option. I've used the factory pricing and talked to them, and then estimated the owner-supplied items. Obviously it's geared toward my preferences, but it may be helpful for others and so I am happy to share. Would love to get feedback from anyone with direct knowledge. It's an excel spreadsheet.

Clear Skies,

David

Default Re: New to the Kitfox Forum

Welcome David. I to am looking to buy or build a KF (in the hopefully near future).

I would be interesting you your spreadsheet if you don't mind sharing it? I have put together a VERY rudimentary cost list as well, but love seeing the thoughts and ideas of others.

I am in Utah, and my biggest concern first is finding a place to build if I go that route, which I would like for the challenge and amazing learning opportunity. I have never undertaken anything quite like this, and while building seems very daunting, from the videos and reading I have done it seem like its just a LOT of little things that take a LOT of time and not overly difficult.

I have heard that there are some specialty tools needed that KF sales for 400 bucks (which seems pricey, but save a boat load of time sourcing separately)

Look forward to your progress. Keep us up to date.

well if that spread sheet works out correctly you should be seeing 80-90K for you to build a top notch KF. Kinda depends on what you consider top notch. Some folks here prefer Steam gauges and consider that top notch enough. Others use panel displays etc etc.. Different paints will vary in cost depending on the gear needed to apply it. Lots of different factors.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

80-90k seems well high, but perhaps I am underestimating everything.

roughly 25k for plane, 22K for 912is with exhaust thats no longer included in the 912is price, 18K for a fully loaded panel (auto pilot, ADSB In/out xpndr, dual screen panel, Comm radio not to mention ELT and LED nav/landing lights or the electrical wiring. Top of the line lights will run $1000. Thats 67K. consider paint. You can spend over 1000 on breathing apparatus alone if you use nice shiny paint that will run you several thousand more if I am not mistaken. OK, now were talking 70 plus. I did save on paint by using Oratex but the Oratex cost me about 6-7K. Oh yes, interior kit. Don't recall the price but its over 1000.How close am I now? Oh, Propeller and spinner, 2K. Except where my craftsmanship has suffered I think I will have a top notch Kitfox SS7. There are many aspects of the build that will drive the price. You certainly don't need to do all this to accomplish a beautiful top notch aircraft and some people have incredible abilities in negotiation. I don't. I have so many of the upgrades (but not all). Im also including the cost of two BoseA20 headsets for which I had to spend more money to operate them via aircraft power (lemo plugs). If you chose to primer the wing spars youll be buying primer and supplies as well. I believe I am pretty close, no? Go fly a Kitfox then let me know if you think it's worth it! Best damn money I have ever spent! Could have bought a bigger house but I can assure you I would not be having the conversations that I have wherever I go about the house. Welcome to the forum.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ya, that adds up fast.
    I know avionics can add to the high price, but for my build I would like to keep it simple and clean, without sacrificing safety.
    Guess the cost might by growing beyond my reach lol. I hope not, but its looking like it for all the bells and whistles.

I am doing some research to try and find good avionics without going crazy. KF says they offer a discount on the engine if yo buy from them. Lets hope that is a good discount lol.

Hey guys here is that spreadsheet with a couple of caveats.

1) I'm a building contractor so I organize things in a way that makes sense to me but might not be the 'right' way. Some of you will say right away that my numbers are high and the total cost is outrageous. Those who have built any kind of major project will confirm that it always costs more than you think. Obviously I'll try for some buydowns once the project rolls, but for planning purposes it's better to be conservative.

2) One thing I don't want is an underpowered airplane so I've priced in $30K for the Edge Performance engine, which is a 912 upgraded with turbo and fuel injection. I talked to that guy and felt good about this choice. KMTJ is 5770' MSL and the surrounding terrain rises quickly. Want to be able to power on up and over.

3) I use Foreflight on the iPad for navigating, so don't need a PFD or MFD. So I have not included that, used steam gauges and mount the iPad. I also use a Stratus GPS. Rotax should have its own engine gauges and such.

4) My time is precious so I've priced in the quick build wing kit, factory wing attach, builder tool kit, etc. Anything that Kitfox can do will be worth the money spent to have it done right and accelerate the build time.

5) Some of the cells are not populated for the STI and Speedster and SLSA columns. I would need to get with Kitfox to go over these and see what is included and not included.

I had to convert the file to pdf to upload it to this forum but if anyone wants the excel file just PM me with an email address. Then you can play around with it, plug in your own numbers, change the configuration, and so on. Shouldn't have to say it but of course this data is just my opinion, not sanctioned by Kitfox, subject to change, not for commercial use etc. etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is a sexy bit of work right there on the info, well done, and TYVM!

I like what I am seeing. Seems very reasonable based on options you selected. I have had a hard time deciding on exactly what to have build at the factory, and what to build myself. I like the idea of having the wings done factory, and the rest myself.

Again, well done on your organization and prep work, much appreciated. I look forward to your build.

Question though. On the items listed as included, I assume you mean they are included in the package price and not extras?

Thanks for the pos feedback. Would be cool if you and I both built and then have a meetup in Eastern Utah, drop down into some of those canyons and play podracer ...

Yes, 'included' means it is included in a price listed, usually directly above. I wanted a separate line item for each thing but if the cost is for a package or bundled goods, then I wrote 'included' to mean its cost is already accounted for.

You can see I still have some questions - need to get on the phone with Kitfox again. But I think overall I'm pretty close. Basically to do what I want to do will cost $100K in materials and supplies and miscellaneous, and then extra for space / structure, paid labor, accessories, training and so on. I have not listed any costs of ownership, but with a plane like this they shouldn't be too crazy. I'm hoping to find someone else in my area, each put up $50K and share the workload to build. Might be a pipe dream but you never know. I'm 50 years old so don't want to wait too long ...

Thanks Eddie that's good rough estimating and sounds like we share some similar ideas. What do you need a bigger house for nowadays anyway? All my albums tapes and CDs fit on my phone, books go to the iPad and having a bunch of houseguests all the time gets old fast. An airplane on the other hand - something that will whisk you off the ground and into another world in minutes, a transporter to vacant mountains and forgotten canyons ...