Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wiring

Default Wiring

Any source on wiring would be appreciated for the panel and mic setups. My last kit plane is a Rans S7 and the build was fun but as hard as I tried I was disappointed with the end results in my wiring. I would like the fox to be organized and look professional.
    Jim

Default Re: Wiring

A good source is the Aeroelectric Connection. It is a book written by Bob Nuckolls. Every thing you will need to wire a plane. Aeroelectric.com

I think it is essential to have a detailed wiring schematic drawn out before you start wiring. It doesn't have to be fancy, just detailed and complete. I cut and pasted (literally, not electronically) from manufacturer's installation manuals for radio, intercom, ignition switch, nav lights, Dynon Skyview, etc. and assembled it all into a complete schematic. Then you know what you are dealing with and can group and bundle wires in a neat fashion as you start to run wires.

Jim

Another thing I found indispensable especially later on down the years is a means to identify wires. This time, I used typed strips with the wire's function covered with transparent heat shrink tubing. Some extra work but pays dividends when modifying or trouble shooting. One other thought is the waxed wire lacing cord. quite expensive out of the box, but you will get enough to wire a hundred airplanes and using it for temporary wire positioning is not costly and it will be very light overall and looks really nice.

In my New Model IV, I ran one wire at a time to make sure every wire was terminated exactly where I wanted it to go.

The two photos are from a Series V I helped wire. The design was the owners and it gives another option for the ground buss and the fuses. I think this was from aeroelectrics. If you look carefully, you can see a hint of the wire labels on the ground buss. I should mention that there is a cover that fits over the fuses in the cockpit side of the fuse box. The fuse system he used was waterproof as each connector had rubber seals on the wires and you can see the seals for the cover on the cockpit side of the panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HighWing; 08-09-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel