Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCAS Monroy ATD-300

Default Re: PCAS Monroy ATD-300

I use this unit. It works great. Keeps me alert of traffic so I can look out for slower traffic that does not use a transponder.
    I fly from a small airpark that has a fuel stop for the local Air-e-vac team. Some times these guys and gals come in a few times when I am flying. Now I see them 5nm out and can keep an eye out for them long before I see them with the naked eye.
    For the buck its a great little unit and sometimes you can pick up a used unit as I did and save some cash.

Harold

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi, I am using the ATD -300 in its portable configuration right now, and am going to install the external antenna sometime in the near future. How do you have yours setup ? mounting location , antenna setup etc. Did you wire into your audio , if so how ? as you know pictures are always welcome
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I have no electric system in my airplane. So I power this with a lipo. After 1 hr flying I use around 300 Mil amps from this 2650 lipo 14.8 v battery. Its velcro'ed in place.

I was using a radio for the first year I flew out of this field. Not one time did I hear any traffic. I then asked one of the helicopter pilots what channel he monitored and he said, Capital airport.
    That explains why no traffic on the radio. I would hear traffic miles away but nothing local to me.
    Since I installed this unit now I see them coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure why only one pic went through but here are more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi N8053H, Thanks for sending the pictures.

Are you using the Monroy patch cord for the audio? It turns my headsets to mono , I only hear the traffic warnings in my left ear, so I need to wire it differently.Maybe into the intercom.

In the top picture, is that the units "portable" antenna? on top of the glare shield, or is it for something else.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Yes that is the antenna for the Monroy sticking up you in that one pic. My unit plugs into my helmet or headset.
    I thought about pointing that antenna down instead of up, but I was not sure how it would work. It works great this way so I will leave it alone.
    The next time I get my airplane out I will take a short video of this unit working in action. I can show how this unit plugs into my helmet also.

Tony

It looks like you are flying a mostly wood aircraft, I get false hits with the unit on the glareshield and the stub antenna, the kitfox has those two metal angled support tubes that go into the glareshield and its hard to keep the unit away the required 6" from the tubes . I will be installing the external antenna in the next few days if everything goes as planned. The external antenna is supposed to do wonders for overall accuracy. then i can give it a good test.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW