Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting ELT

Default Mounting ELT

Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted their ELT, that they would share. I know the factory is now welding a plate to the fuselage structure for that, but I'm curious how others have done it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Mounting ELT

You can just see the edge of the yellow case in this picture. It's mounted behind the pilot side seat pan. on an aluminum plate.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Here is a photo - not a perfect photo but enough to show where the ELT (Artex 409) is located. Hope it helps some.

The part you can't see is the plate underneath it which is fastened to the fuselage tubes with cushion clamps. ELT base is screwed to the plate and the ELT is strapped to the base.

Just so nobody gets any ideas.....the two inline fuel filters in the photo WERE REMOVED PRIOR TO FIRST STARTUP AND WERE NOT USED.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used adel clamps on the pilot side behind the seat and clamped to the fuselage.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

I mounted mine on brackets I made that hang the unit on the pilots side of the fuselage so it is accessible either through the bag that forms the baggage compartment and/or through the turle deck opening.

I tried to think of a way to mount so I wouldn't have to take the seats out to access it for service.

Where is the factory welded plate located?

Esser,
    It is located approximately in the location where I decided to mount mine, but I used an aluminum plate with some clamps that I made out of S.S.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John, nice mount, I going to move my antenna "inside" and thanks to you I now have a plan
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

This is my solution. I used some aluminum I had on hand and adel clamps. Obviously this can be improved by cutting some lightening holes which I'm considering. Some reports on this forum about successful internal mounting of the antenna led me to go ahead and mount it that way.

There is a lot to be said in favor of inside mounted ELT antenna...........when I was at this point a discussion with one of the greybeard EAA tech counselors went like this...."You know, if you ever end up needing it you will find yourself upside down or right side up in the swamp....if the antenna is on the outside there is 1/2 a chance it won't work because the antenna will be broken off or buried in the mud....tube and fabric airplane, put it inside the fuselage frame".

One sidebar point to keep in mind. I understand that some com radio antennaes need to be a minimum distance away from the ELT antenna; but, that will be covered in the ELT antenna installation documents for the specific ELT model.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Last edited by Dave S; 02-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.