Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 582 High EGT'S HELP

Default 582 High EGT'S HELP

I just purchased a kitfox model 3 with grey head 582. Engine has 190 hrs. I have no experience with this airplane or rotax engines. I have been seeing EGT'S. At 1250 in cruise rpm of 5800. I have read this is to high so I decided to raise the needle one position to make it richer. Flew it and it climbed out smooth with full throttle but from 4 to 6 thousand rpm it misses and shutters pretty bad. The EGT'S where down around 1100 though. So I moved the needles back to where they were and it runs like it did before, smooth but EGT'S at 1250. What should I do or check. I'm lost.

Default Re: 582 High EGT'S HELP

You should check the plugs. They are accurate even when a gauge is not. Plugs should be a coffee color. Maybe run it on the ground for 5 minutes at that cruising rpm, then shut it off without letting it get down to idle, then pull the plugs and look at them. If it's to rich, the plugs will be black, to lean probably gray. At first glance, 1250 is to high, but that is if the gauge is accurate. EGTs are very important. To high, and the motor burns up fairly quick. JImChuk

I've had good luck managing the EGT's on my Model III. The key is (1) replace the Westach needle gauges with something electronic and more accurate. I use the MGL E-1 instrument (Sponsor here, click the link on the left). and (2), install a HacMan mixture control from Green Sky Adventures. This gives you in-flight dial control. I still have to avoid running in the mid-throttle range while unloading the prop, but everything else is easily manageable.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

The egt gauges are not accurate so as suggested check the plugs.
    Changing needle position will mostly effect mid range with very little effect on wide open throttle.Do a full power ground run and when the egt peaks crack the choke slightly if the engine appears to load up and loose power your jetting is about right,if it doesn't have much effect check the main jet sizes (I assume both cylinders read the same)and also look for debris.if one guage reads high swap the probes.
    I hope there' is something of use here.
    Cheers

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. So today I pulled the plugs and they look brown (coffee colered). Didn't do the run up because my right brake needs bled and cant hold full power and I really want to get some of the goofy stuff that I want to change sorted out. I pulled the exhaust because for one I wanted to paint it and put new gaskets on but to also have a look at the pistons. They look really good no scoring. Pulled the carbs because I want to verify what jets are in them and replace the carb sockets. I want to also do a compression check tomorrow. Also I ordered the MGL E1 because I feel like I could be getting false readings on the needle gage as mentioned. I'll post back up when all that is done. Do you guys think it is necessary to do a pressure test on the crankcase? Thanks again.

I had the same issue and it was the gauge (off scale high by like 200F). I also went with the MGL. Slight increase in blade angle (increased engine loading) will help as well (given your static RPM is still in range and your plug color is good).

Pressure test in the crankcase is rather difficult, and two of the areas you would want to verify you cant readily get to (crank seals) due to the gear box and flywheel stator.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...?t=6873&page=2

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...commendations/
    Last edited by LSaupe; 09-11-2017 at 02:20 AM.

I pulled the carbs apart today and the jets aren't matching up to what I have listed for this application.

Main Jets=165
    Idler Jet = 60
    Needle Jet=2.68 in one and 2.72 in the other
    Jet Needle= 15k2 in both at 2 slots from the top
    Air Screw= 1 turn out

The chart I have says they are supposed to be

Main Jets=165
    Idler Jet=55
    Needle Jet=2.72 both
    Jet Needle= 11G2 with clip in 3 slot from the top
    Air Screw=1turn out

I'm thinking order all new jets that are recommended and go from there.
    What do you guys think?

Yep, always good to start with a good baseline. Might want to purchase a set of leaner idle jets as well (like 50's). I am running 50's at 1.5 turns and some guys are running 45's. These are set very rich on the low side.

We just changed the 45 idle jets in my brothers 582 to 35's all else is standard,on finals the engine is way smoother and the EGT's are now around 1000F instead of 850- 900 on final,possibly less chance of a cold seizure on go round? The original 55 are way rich,but if you run premix maybe stick to the 45's
    As on a long throttle closed decent fuel=lubrication.
    Don't throw the 15k2 needles away yet.I run these to get rid of a mid range temperature spike on light load decent.

Update: so after a month of going thru everything I rebuilt carbs with all new jets to Rotax specs, new ivo 3 blade prop, and mgl e-1. Pitched prop at 6500 climbing out at 60. Now my issue is that when giving it full power at take off it stutters in the midrange until it gets to higher rpm. Also in cruise one cylinder runs 1250 and the other 1150 at about 5600 rpm. I have tried every needle position it really doesn't like full lean or full rich. Any thoughts????