Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: yaesu hand held issues

Default yaesu hand held issues

This is my first aircraft radio and I have had occasional issues with my yaesu ft230 hand held. What is happening is I get a receiving transmission that overpowers all incoming transmissions. It appears mostly in close proximity to airports but not all and not at all times. The last time was the worst by far. I was approx 11 miles from the airport and I got static/squealing and even sounding like I got an actual music radio channel in the background. It was so bad I could not understand what was said in the pattern at the airport. Luckily it was a low traffic airport and only one plane was in the pattern and shortly left. Once I got low (within 200 ft agl) it all went silent and was clear. At my neighborhood airport I sometimes get a squeal that lasts for maybe 150 yrds directly over the center of the airport but goes away after. The green receiving light is on during all this so it is not just noise coming from the radio itself. I have the squealch adjusted all the way up but has no effect. Should I just try to get another hand held or is there something you guys can think of to help. This is in an avid flyer and has an external antenna.
    Thanks Mark
    Last edited by tx_swordguy; 12-21-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: yaesu hand held issues

First thing I'd check is - does it do the same thing with the factory whip antenna attached?

If yes - probably a radio issue.

If no - probably a wrong antenna type, wrong antenna length (out of tune), inadequate ground plane, inadequate location. Or a combination of any.

Before changing anything though, i'd try it with another handheld to see if it does the same thing. Be forewarned though, you can ruin a radios power amplifier if operated without an antenna or one that is grossly out of tune.

If both radios do the same thing, get with someone that knows avionics and check your installation and tune with an SWR meter.

Greg

Default Re: yaesu hand held issues

Thanks Greg, I was thinking about trying the factory antenna, along with turning off the anti-noise setting for nothing other than trying it.