Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Default Re: Newbie Question

Reaming the lower holes should be the way to go - to elongate a little up on one tab bolt hole and down on the other - it shouldn't really take much, as a little movement on the bottom mount will create more side play on the top than you might think, it's a pretty long arm. Just make sure nothing binds or ends up "sloppy".

Greg

Thanks for the input - pretty much what I had concluded as well. I agree it won't take much a the bottom mount to move it to the desire position; just worried about introducing a new problem trying to correct the other. Your input is much appreciated. Greg

I ran into the same problem, installed it with a slight bind, I think I will remove the lower bolt and elongate a little to help ease the bind

Is this a super 7? If it is Have you emailed or called John at the factory about this mis- alignment, this should not be this way in any quality kit. I would not alter or bend anything until you have a discussion with John.

Have you positively identified the problem is a misalignment of the lower fuselage tabs? Try turning the trim motor assembly around and see if the offset reverses. If so then the hole in the trim motor is the fault.

Shy away from any fix that leaves you with an out-of-round hole in the fuselage tabs or the trim motor. This is, after all, the only connection of the stab leading edge.

I would feel comfortable reaming to a larger size and installing a bushing. The earlier models did use a bushing on the lower end. Subsequently deleted on later production as the motor assembly doesn't pivot enough to warrant a bushing. The reaming would only require a few thou for a thin wall bushing.

By all means, give McBean a call just to raise your comfort level.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Tx

A follow-up to the conversation concerning miss-alignment with the trim motor assembly with respect to the lower fuselage mounting tabs for those who follow. After emailing with the factory elongating the holes is NOT a good option and in retrospect I should have investigated the problem more before I slightly elongated the holes in the mounting tabs in opposite directions. This did result in squaring the bolt to the fuselage but there might have been better approaches. And while statically this approach seems fine I really began to question long-term dynamic forces and the suitability of the above approach.
    So to remedy the situation at the direction of the factory I’m going to fabricate mirror images of the tabs and bond and rivet them to the inside of the mounting tabs made from .063" 4130. This maximizes surface area and avoids the welds. .063" is the thickness of the AN960-10 washers installed and is the thickness of the tabs. To align the holes in the bonded pieces I plan to install the elevator trim assembly and bond washers to the outside surfaces of the mounting tabs first using the bolt to align the washers. Once the Hysol dries the washers will be guides for drilling the holes to the proper angle so the assembly will be square with the elevator.
    Any thoughts or ideas to improve this process would be welcomed.
    Thanks, Greg

Greg,
    I haven't done anything with mine yet, I was just getting ready to remove the horizontal stabilizer to make it easier to work on the vertical stab. And was at that time look real close at it to see what kind of alignment I have. I recalled my original alignment looked a lot like yours but was able to tweet it into place without elongating any of the holes. But was worried about any binding on the trim actuator. I will check my out in the next few days

I removed my trim actuator and found by tweeting it into alignment I bent the rod end .
    it looks like if I just use a thin nylon washer at both ends it will align up ok, when I first installed it I used a thick washer and nylon washers at each end. I will replace the rod end before reinstalling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Question Re: Newbie Question trim

When you called kitfox and talked to John what was his response to the misalignment? I have a kit on order and would like to know if this problem has been corrected. If your problem is in reference to the SS7 kit and it is now known as a problem in a major structure area I would like to think kitfox would have corrected the alignment. I'll keep checking in on this thread, would love to know ow many others had the same issue.

Jim, my conversation with the factory was limited to email however, I do not think that it was is viewed as a problem (SS7). So far, pretty much everything requires tweaking of some kind to get the fit and finish desired (builder defined). This was just another one of those adjustments needed to the actuator rod end and now is perfectly centered after installing, bonding/riveting, and drilling the mirrored tabs in the actuator pivot. I suspect that the miss-alignment was acceptable as was the slightly elongated holes in the actuator pivot however, I was not happy with either.