Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uavionix adsb transponder

Default Re: Uavionix adsb transponder

Mike,

Really appreciate your contribution.......Question. If I understand correctly, there are two antennas used with this set up ...including a separate one for the GPS - couldn't quite figure out where you mounted the GPS antenna; but, it looks like it has a fairly long cable and could go quite a few places. Do you just use the original transponder antenna or is there a separate one for the reply?
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Only one antenna plus gps. The reply antenna is located between the two boxes. If you look closely you can see the right angle BNC connector. I cheated and used a 3' rg58u coax cable assuming the vswr is close enough since I don't have a power meter. Must have turned out pretty good since I pick up traffic and towers as soon as I get above the trees.

I used a 6 x 8 25 mil alum for ground plane attached to two 3/4" by 6" aluminum angle to mount the boxes to and attach to the airframe. The angles were pop riveted together to form a z. I would have liked to have spaced them a little further apart but I only had 1' of angle.

I mounted the gps antenna just under the front edge of the glare shield. Had to use zip ties since this gps antenna doesn't have mounting holes.

MJH

Today I ordered the same units that you did Mike. I had been looking at these since they were first announced. I believe it's going to be a good one. Thanks for posting your experience!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

With Mike's experience, (and some other information) I am coming to the conclusion that the smart money on the ADS-B issues goes with waiting a bit from when the FAA was first pushing it a while back. I don't even see any benefit to their rebate deal....unless a person is rich enough to spend more than they save.

Levil Aviation is supposed to be coming out with a small, completely contained device that provides compliance with ADS-B out requirements for $1K. ($1K seems to be the new cost standard). This thing is supposed to be complete including a WAAS GPS; and, triggers/retransmitts off the existing Transponder antenna for squawk code.

http://aviation.levil.com/products.html check the product called "Beacon"

Skuttlebut among our local avionics experimenters seems to favor belief that things will get better quick.....one of the allied technologies which might play into a small cheap unit for aircraft is the possibility of having ADS-B on drones....where things really have to be light and small. There is no technical reason this stuff can't be smaller and less expensive.

The evidence of rapid development of compact easier to install and use electronics is everywhere.....I most notably recall the first aviation GPS units back in the 90's which were so extremely user abusive, hopelessly expensive and a handful to install that they really made the old paper charts seem like the best thing since sliced bread.

I plan to get up to see Mike's installation when I can; and, I am beginning to think there should be a lot of good discussion on the subject following OSH. John, be sure to speak up with your experiences too.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I think you're right, Dave. I'm a poster boy for why you should think long and hard before becoming an early adopter of new technology. Although being one has usually worked out well for me throughout my life, I feel that I really got "bit" by this ADS-B thing. I decided I wanted to have my fox complete and ready for 2020, with a clean behind the panel installation of ADS-B, when I thought I was getting close to completeing the project a couple of years ago (hah!). So... I bought the experimental version of the Navworx unit. It was the least expensive UAT, with the most features of any that I was aware of. Then the FAA pulled their prior approval of it probably about a year ago, and the legality of it has been in limbo ever since. It's honestly reminiscent of the Bob Hoover incident in the early 90's, but Navworx has handled the situation very poorly IMHO. I've finally had enough, and decided to install the uAvionix units after many phone calls and research. I want to button up my panel & avionics systems and be done for (hopefully) many years. I've pulled the Navworx unit & I'll keep it for my other plane, if they ever get their act completely together.

Since you mentioned drones, that is what uAvionix has been deeply involved with before stepping into the general aviation market. Everything for the UAVs is designed to be as small, light and powerful as possible. I don't think that we will see anything much more compact, with all of the built-in features of their units for appreciably less money, but my track record for those kinds of predictions is blemished. These "miniature" units are a full 20 watt transceiver, with built-in wi-fi, auto coupling with a legacy mode C transponder if you wish, etc., etc. They are really amazing in my opinion.
    Last edited by jrevens; 05-27-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post

The evidence of rapid development of compact easier to install and use electronics is everywhere.....I most notably recall the first aviation GPS units back in the 90's which were so extremely user abusive, hopelessly expensive and a handful to install that they really made the old paper charts seem like the best thing since sliced bread...
    That's so true, Dave, but my experience with GPS was different. In the very early '90s I bought one of the very first Garmin GPS units designed for aviation use - the GPS-100. It's panel mounted with built-in battery back-up. At the time I had several good friends who adamantly urged me to invest in a Loran unit instead. I can't tell you how many times I heard... "The government will shut the GPS system down whenever they want to! Go with what's tried and proven." I had the first unit in this area as far as I know. A few years later, I was feeling pretty smart, as the GPS market was exploding. IMO, it was/is extremely intuitive and easy to use, and required nothing more than power and an antenna. What an amazing device it was to me. I got rid of my Edo-Air nav-com shortly afterwards, going to a King KY-97 comm radio. Believe it or not, that Garmin unit is still in my panel as a back-up to my GPS 196, and it still works perfectly, 26 years later!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Since you mentioned drones, that is what uAvionix has been deeply involved with before stepping into the general aviation market. Everything for the UAVs is designed to be as small, light and powerful as possible. I don't think that we will see anything much more compact, with all of the built-in features of their units for appreciably less money, but my track record for those kinds of predictions is blemished. These "miniature" units are a full 20 watt transceiver, with built-in wi-fi, auto coupling with a legacy mode C transponder if you wish, etc., etc. They are really amazing in my opinion.
    Having been in the UAS (Unmanned Arial Systems = drone) business in the past, I agree there are high quality, very small and very powerful "miniature" units for drones that work great. So ... my question: Is there a reason we cannot use these drone units in our Kitfox's?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

FYI, Dynon has chosen UAvionix (slightly modified to carry the Dynon logo) as their ADS-B IN reciever. I think this speaks well for UAvionix. I just purchased this unit but have not installed it yet.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Having been in the UAS (Unmanned Arial Systems = drone) business in the past, I agree there are high quality, very small and very powerful "miniature" units for drones that work great. So ... my question: Is there a reason we cannot use these drone units in our Kitfox's?
    I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking, Steve, but I guess that is basically what uAvionix is doing, utilizing the expertise and knowledge that they have acquired and developed in the UAS business to develop, or possibly refine and re-package new products specifically for general aviation (ECHO, SKYFYX, etc.).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime