Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912UL Starter Solenoid is metric...opps

Default 912UL Starter Solenoid is metric...opps

FOR THE SEARCH ENGINE and our information base:

I messed up... with zero markings on the starter solenoid, I never thought that the one supplied in our kits for the 912UL just might be European sourced with the engine. The factory kit did not have metric nuts for it. I had loosely hand tightened American SAE nuts on the terminals as I was wiring to it. Of course tightening the first of these nuts stripped it. Expensive error. $137 later.

The company I bought the new one from (a bunch of crazy pilots) took 10 days to get around to shipping it. I then found out that the solenoid originally came from US Auto Electric for $85. Interesting. Nice $51 markup.

Part #182800-1950

In summary, these terminals take a 6mm nut. I will now return to our regularly scheduled Kitfox building program.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Default Re: 912UL Starter Solenoid is metric...opps

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that. Glad to know there is a club.
    Jay

Rotten luck.
    I tried to save some money by making my own bubble doors. Spent a "c" note on acylic, worked on it for a week. Spectacular fail! I then bought the $$ doors anyway.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Grover,

Thanks for the heads up on the source for the solenoid

I am of the opinion that many parts sold by rotax at rather proud $ can be sourced other places.

1) I got the aux belt drive alternator. With the shiny new alternator sitting on my bench, I happened to glance over at a 1984 ND toyota pickup alternator sitting in my shop - yup - physically the same part - pulling the shell bolts and rotating the back end 90 degrees gave the same position for the terminals.

2) JerryTex on the list saved my bacon on an O-ring. I later found out that another company Airplane Builders are familiar with, McMaster-Carr, has metric O-rings and an on line guidance document outlining the application for Buna-N, Silicon and other O-ring material formulations. Plus they have O-ring material, including metric, in coils so a person can cut and bond specific O-rings for those really long casting seals.

3) Heat conductive paste which rotax sells for a tidy sum for a few drops has been covered on this list - products of an equivalent formulation in 5 oz tubes are available from Dow Corning 340 and others.

Repackaging/relabeling is a wonderful way to make money

Oh, and bolts.....Those of us with special interest cars become familiar (quickly) with Chryslers SAE wheel nuts that are right handed thread on one side and left handed thread on the other. Best to keep any millenial shop tech away from these with their air wrench.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

"Oh, and bolts.....Those of us with special interest cars become familiar (quickly) with Chryslers SAE wheel nuts that are right handed thread on one side and left handed thread on the other. Best to keep any millenial shop tech away from these with their air wrench."

Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades