Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: build time for a SS7

Default Re: build time for a SS7

My daily build log shows 2369.0 hrs total build time up to the day of airworthiness inspection and certificate issue. Took my time building, no quick build anything, ordered parts as they were needed and could be afforded. Worked on something every day, maybe not long hours , but did something to keep project going. By the way, I'm an A&P so I know it's built right.

Dick B

where is that dang LIKE Button when ya need it
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

and they say old dawgs cant learn new tricks thanks Paul I saved it ")
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I second Paul's comment about quality of the kit. I have been helping some friends with their planes and Kitfox has a very high quality to their kits compared to many but not all others.

I haven't kept track of my hours. Partly because in Canada we don't have to keep a meticulous log and partly because I didn't want to pace myself against a number as a first time builder. If I had more free time, it would have ben flying 2 years ago....

So far I have 935 hours building my KF 5. I only am counting the time that I am actually working to build the plane; not time studying, reading online or ordering stuff. I bought the plane 18 months ago from the original owner. He had done 25-30% of the build but I redid several things that would account for about half of his time. I would estimate 1100 hours of my time by the time I finish. It would probably be 1250-1300 hours if I built it from scratch with QB wings.

As mentioned; your experience, workshop and tools available can make a big difference in the build time. I have been an A&P for 32 years and just got my IA rating. I have the availability of a paint booth, special tools, machine shop, powder coating machine, etc. where I currently work. All of these things have made the project go quicker than average.

I'm getting close to the end and can almost taste it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

One year four months from Kitfox delivery to first flight. I have a full time job and a family at home. I build my kit in my two car garage. The build would have been done in a year but I didn't leave enough lead time for the FWF Kit, Engine, and Prop. I did get the quick build wings and Pre-fab kit. I would recommend both options. I was a first time builder and had a fun time building my Kitfox. The factory help is just incredible. Like many of the other builders on this forum I consider John and Deb McBean from Kitfox friends now. I did a build thread if your interested.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4013

I've been flying my Kitfox SS for just over a year now and would make the same kit choice if I was going to do it again.

Good luck on your choice.

Scott

Thanks for all the responses, I own a metal fabrication business and we have all types of fab and machine equipment and I have plenty of room to work and a lot of experience building cars and motorcycles so I am hoping I can do this in a 1000 to 1200 hour range.

For me, scheduling or setting deadlines would take a lot of fun out of the build. I had enough of that during my career (now retired).

I'm with you, mr bill. I really enjoy building things... but now I really want to get this thing flying. Been dreaming about it too long. I'm SLOOOW! It doesn't help that I have another airplane to fly. Now I'm going to have to figure out where I'm gonna' keep 2 airplanes! I know... poor me!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

It took me 2 years and 3 months with 1336 hours of documented build time as a first time builder. But, in that time I built quality memories, a wealth of knowledge, and most importantly, I built friendships within my EAA chapter and the Kitfox community that will last me a lifetime. I'm now researching another build.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ