Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: build time for a SS7

Default build time for a SS7

Hi guys, I have seen some info on here about guys going over 2000 hours to build there planes and I was just wondering is the factory being deceptive in there 1000 hours to build or can a well versed fabricator with a well equipped shop do it in a 1000 hours. I am very interested in building a 7 but if it takes over 2000 it might force me to reconsider. Thanks for your help. Big Jim

Default Re: build time for a SS7

My SS7 took about 2300 hours, but I am a first time builder with a shop kind of crowded and not super well equipped; also by nature I am slow and careful. I did NOT get the quick build wings or the prefab kit. I estimate the QB wings would save about 500 hours.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Go Read the Build Post from Oz build SS7, Ross is an Australian Builder. His post will give you a very good idea of what is involved.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5029
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Jim, I haven't finished my 7SS yet but my model 4 took around 1,200 hours to complete but I had many mods from stock that added time to the build. I did it in 14 months of pretty steady effort. I don't think the model 7 SS would be much more if you kept your Kitfox simple. Lots of high timers are building the fanciest versions with all glass panels, auto pilots and the like.
    Advertising a universal build time for all situations is tricky. Just know that it varies for all kit manufacturers as they control nothing about your shop, it's equipment set up and your skill level. I think a needle, ball and airspeed model 7SS with a know engine like the Rotax is doable.

Now with that said, if you're going to invest your valuable time and financial resources in a kit built aircraft, don't you want the best one available? And where else are you going to get all this free support from all these good folks to help keep you on your time table and budget? Order your Kitfox 7 SS and never look back. You'll never regret it when you see the quality of the kit and the build manual.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yes mine was not a "simple" build. I put in a glass panel and nearly all the optional items except QB wings and auto-pilot. I counted all my time in the shop even if it was cleanup or just thinking thru a project. Now that I have built one, I think I could do the same kit again in 1200-1500 hours, using the QB items and my naturally plodding pace. I totally agree that the choice of a fine aircraft, excellent kit and support far outweighs build time differences of a couple hundred hours or so. When you are done and enjoying it you don't even think of the time spent working on it. It all becomes a proud memory of an enjoyable time.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have two friends, Airfox and Floog, who built SS7's similarly equipped to mine in well under 2000 hours. Both of them first time builders using the QB options. Maybe they will chime in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Seeing that Paul has dobbed me in I had better respond!

Our kit arrived Oct '13. We are about to fit the engine and avionics and while I am not working to a time line, I imagine it will be flying before the 2 year mark arrives. For info, I still work occasionally and travel a fair bit so I was not working on it every day, all day. Additionally, we are first time builders and spent a lot of time reading and thinking before undertaking a job. The kit is comprehensive and the manual very good. The icing on the cake is this forum where the guys are really knowledgeable, generous and supportive. If was doing it full time, and knew what I wanted in terms of engine and avionics, I think it is very achievable in 12-13 months.

Apart from that it has/is a great experience and now looking forward to flying it!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I'd second Jiott's comments about build time on the wings. FWIW - the slow build wings are a major contributor to time on task. Another builder up my way said the wings are the components that take the most time to build. I believe if a person can finance it, getting the quick build wings can cut down time-on-task quite bit.

In our case, the S7 took 1200 hrs & 3 years, first time builder, slow build wings, work and life going on at the same time and majorly complicated by getting seriously burned in the skystar bankrupcy. Standard gauges - no exotic electronics. Small unheated garage & basement used for construction room.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

It's not only about build time. I'd make one recommendation go look at a Kitfox or any other plane you might be interested in, up close and throughly. Look at the Quality of the Welds on the Fuselage, the Jigs/Fixtures used to Weld up the Fuselage, the Jigs/Fixtures to build the Fast Build Wings, and the tooling use to make the Wing Ribs etc. I was looking at one of the Kitfox Competitors Aircraft, I just recently got my LSRM-A certification, and I was thinking of building a Kit because I really like the performance of the particular model. I got digging on their Web Site, and there are a couple of photos of the Tail Feathers, the inside of the fuselage that told me everything I needed to know about the particular aircraft. Looking at the Weld Quality I would be extremely hesitant to build a Kit that had welds that were worse than my welding capabilities. I would be concerned with Weld Penetration. I would also be concerned with spending 1500 to 2000 working on this kit. Those look like some Crappy Welds! Kitfox has a very good Welder working for them and that is more important than the time to build!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Amen, I second Paul's comments. Being an engineer I was very impressed with my visit to the Kitfox factory and seeing the extensive fixturing they use to keep everything square and straight. I think it is the main reason the airplane flies so well on the maiden flight. Just a small amount of tweaking the wing rigging for a slightly heavy left wing is all that is necessary, and maybe a little rudder trim. Actually the factory could probably eliminate almost all rigging tweaking by telling you to add a turn or so (on the strut rod ends) of wing twist on initial assembly. A perfectly built straight airplane will always want to turn left a little due to engine torque and P-factor.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS