Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

Default Re: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

while clover is awesome for maintenance purposes it can cause its own problems depending on where you live.... ie elk and deer love it and will come from everywhere to enjoy your nice new meadow. not to put it down just something to consider. and yes I have made landings over the top of a herd of deer and had to land long at the end of a short rwy

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Why dont people plant clover...

I no longer call it yard care, it's combat! 1850' x 100' coarse grass plus the rest of the place. I keep it pretty short just so I can keep up. My KF IV is still in the barn waiting more attention and a new engine. But I've been mowing for 17 years now, but I just bought my KF last fall. I keep it about 2-1/2" with as few clumps as possible. Some take going over a couple times to spread out. You never know, someday, someone may stop by and visit me....... hint, hint.
    Google: Newby Landing

Take care,
    jay

Smile Re: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

I maintain both S73 and my own strip. S73 we keep the grass to 3 inches--a mixture of various grasses.
    My own strip is a mixture of blue grass, long stem fescue, perenial rye and clover. I try to keep it mowed to between 3 and 6 inches. And yes the deer love it but they duck for cover with a fly over!

It should be on the next sectional edition for Great Falls as Didier Ranch. any of you Kitfoxers are more than welcome to stop in if you are over the Grangeville, Kamiah area. Call if you can 208 451-0147 or drop a line via this forum.

sdidier,
    Is there an advantage/disadvantage to having it on the sectional?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I like centipede grass,..it has an awesome root system,..even if the ground gets saturated you can drive a truck on it
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    sdidier,
    Is there an advantage/disadvantage to having it on the sectional?
    Explain to me how being noticed further by the federal government is a good thing…

Along the same lines as if I ever owned a firearm I'd buy it at a gun show or from a private individual leaving no paper trail…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm on the inset portion of the Indianapolis area on the St Louis sectional. I've had nothing but good things due to the feds knowing about me and being public info. They even advised the state highway department that the newly installed light pole on I-74 was a bad idea. It was right at the end of my runway, but below the glide path. It was gone by the end of the day.

I was not going to apply for sectional inclusion until I was talking with a local Maule driver who has an extensive background in insurance. His advice, apply, he said there was no downside.
    And it will make it easier for you guys to find me>>>

Also look up S73, it is a municipal strip that our Aero Club manages ( CVAC Inc.)
    The feds know where we are but we and the city steadfastly refuse to accept any FAA money with the resultant strings attached. And it has not been a problem. We like open access for the local kids and public in general to stop by. We have a very active fight school through owner shares and generally have one or two high school students taking lessons and helping out!

So if you apply to the Feds are there any qualifications you must meet? Like distance required from houses, livestock, roads, buildings, etc?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos