Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

Default Grass Strip Guys: How High?

For those of you who fly out of or maintain grass strips, is there a correct grass height? There are some common sense things, of course, like keeping it low enough for prop clearance, but is there a particular length of grass that just "feels right"? If so, what is it?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Grass Strip Guys: How High?

SkySteve,
    Because I have that kind of time right now, I just scanned through some advisory circulars (AC 150/5300-13A Airport Construction & AC 150/5370-10 under Turf Establishment) and didn't find any recommended or required lengths. Just in case you thought to look at the FAA side, I'm not finding anything regulatory or recommended. Probably for liability reasons! Happy Hunting!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I remember seeing somewhere? that the grass should be kept axle height or lower.
    The taller it is, there is definitely more surface drag.

I cut my grass when it gets around 8" , its cut height is around 2 1/2 "s .

This cut height depends on the type of grass, some do not handle being cut too short.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

My runway extends out past the yard for 1400', so I mow it when I do the lawn. Some parts grow better than others, so it's often different hights, but lower the better for resistance I would say. I suppose my mower is set about 2 1/2" also. Jim Chuk

I know this is contraban here on the Kitfox forum, but here is a good picture of me landing my brand X on my runway (that I don't live near so I never cut it). You can't see my large Maule pneumatic tailwheel in the long grass, and my 850 tires are about at the half way point. So it is pretty long for most people. But landing in grass this long presented no problems whatsoever. In fact I think it is softer than a regular runway that is cut to a more normal 3 inch height. The only negative I noticed was getting weeds hung up on my tailwheel to rudder springs. (I have a new tailwheel now that doesn't use rudder springs so even that's not a problem now).

The takeoff was uneventful as well. I used less than 300 ft of the 2450 available without even trying. So if brand X does it, so will our Kitfoxes.

With all that said, I would avoid grass longer than this mostly because I'd be concerned about grass getting wrapped around things and causing some braking effect you might not want.

I used to fly my early Avid Flyer on the tall and narrow motorcyle tires out of any old 3 to 4 ft high hayfield and never had issues except for having to always clean grass wrapped around things. But the tires we all like to use today tend to be short and fat, so I don't think they would work as well in that long of a grass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perfect. Good real life info from all. I'm more concerned with what works good vrs what some gov'nt agency desires.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

My opinion: mow it often enough so that when you do mow it you don't get clumps and piles of grass clippings that tun into obsticals that could damage your plane or cause handling problems.

The over all length of the grass would be to your discretion or preference.

@ Paul: I didn't think you actually flew that plane! I thought it was just another member of your stable.

Chapter meeting at JimS's place this Saturday at 10.30 am. Be there or be square.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 05-14-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Ab8r3400,
    Excellent point re the clumps and clippings.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Why dont people plant clover? It never gets higher than 7" if it even gets that high, is drought resistant, and stays green.

You have to reseed every few years but it beats mower every two weeks. Whats the catch?

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    My opinion: mow it (snip, snip)

@ Paul: I didn't think you actually flew that plane! I thought it was just another member of your stable.
    Ok, teasing me about not flying like I should is fair. My latest project (a 38x42 ft with an empty weight of about 27 tons on a super short gear - but water capable) is still taking a lot of my spare time that would otherwise be available for playing with my stable of airplanes.

HOWEVER, I have been able to sneak in a little fun here and there making some improvements to ol' Brand X (new Sensenich 3 blade prop & spinner, extreme extended landing gear, 4 caliper brakes, bigger tires, 12 inch free swivel tailwheel, all new panel, new amphib floats, etc, etc.)

So I'm not quite dead yet
    Last edited by av8rps; 05-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.