Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK newbie about to dive in!

Default Re: UK newbie about to dive in!

Do something every day, even if it is a task that takes only a few minutes. If you can, fly something else occasionally, so you don't get in a hurry. Setting schedules and getting frustrated will take a lot of fun out of the project.

Thanks again all,
    Paul Z ,
    Yes the shipping cost to the UK is not nice at all and was a major concern but John McBean has sorted me a shipping quotation that is not too bad and I have now factored that into my cost calculations.
    Bill,
    I have built before and have a CZAW Sportcruiser (they came in kit form to the UK in 2008/09) so I will always have something to fly when I want a day off from building.
    I wanted to build something wing fold and totally diffferent to what I already have. I think the Kitfox 7SS will fit the bill nicely.

Alan

Alan,

Well, if you have built a Sportcruiser, although it is a composite aircraft, you already have airplane bulding skills! Heck, you're good to go!

BTW - the Sportcruizer looks remarkably similar to a kit aircraft known as the "Pulsar" which was sold in the US by the previous kitfox company.....do these aircraft have the same DNA?

Dave S

Hi Dave,
    The actual building part holds no fears for me at all really apart from not having done any fabric covering or stitching before, it is just the question can I remain personally motivated for 2000+hours that is of concern and the fact that so many others don't seem to make it to the finish.
    It is trying to understand why these guys don't make it to the end and if I can do anything different to ensure that I do make it to the end and flying status that I was trying to get my head around.

Don't think the Sportcruiser which is metal has any DNA similar to the Pulsar. Closer to the Zenair 601 I think.

Alan,

You are the first person I know of that spells your name Alan like mine. It is my middle name. I was contemplating doing the 10 Country Run that is done by the Triumph Drivers group in the UK. I was shocked at what it cost to ship my car there and really shocked by the cost to ship it back. It would have been fun but some Heath issues got in the way. I really think you could build a Kitfox in under 2000 hours. It is not like doing a scratch build aircraft. I tried building a composite scratch build it took 10 years an 2000+ to make the basic fuselage and wings. It would have taken another 2000 to assemble, wire, finish, and paint. I developed a sensitivity to epoxy and latex gloves because of it. I was thinking of building a Kitfox, but John McBean had a flying Kitfox for sale I couldn't turn down. The building process is a lot of fun and somewhat addicting, unless of course you develop an allergy to the primary construction material, and latex gloves. I kind of wish, I had built a kit, versus buying the SLSA. The SLSA I have is great, but I am extremely restricted in making any changes to it.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul,

Well there are a few of us old Alan's I think over here in England although no-one names their kids Alan anymore do they. A bit of an old fashioned name I think.
    Regarding the Triumph run you would probably be better instead of trying to ship your car over in contacting the Triumph Owners club, flying over and finding someone to either join on the run, or maybe rent a car once you get over here.
    Yes developing an allergy building an aircraft is not a nice experience and a lot of people do get it, fortunately I have managed to avoid such things so far, long may it continue.
    I have found a few photo's of your plane here on the forum and it looks a superb aircraft, I am sure you get great fun out of it without making any modifications anyway.

Alan.

Alan,

Here is my favorite photo of my Kitfox, John McBean ended up having to fly from Homedale Idaho, to Mesquite Texas. The weekends I tried to fly it down, but the weather got bad, and I'd couldn't fly it back. The next time work got in the way, so John recommended that they needed to deliver one to Florida so they could fly them both down, both planes are in the photo. It has been a great plane. I really would recommend doing the Quick Build kits, it should cut a lot of time off of the build.

I check around trying to find a TR6 to rent for the 10 country run, but no one would rent one that left the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It looks beautiful Paul.
    What do you find is the ideal or most comfortable cruise speed?
    I usually find that with most planes there is a speed that you can sort of tell that the plane is at its happiest.

Usually fly at 4800 to 5000 RPM, and I'll usually see between 100 to about 105, since I took off my wheel pants. I have cruise with it up to 5400, but it tends to like being under 5200. I'm kind of the seat of the pants pilots, I usually don't even look at the RPMs much less speed, I fly what feels good to me at the time. I'm planning on flying to Oklahoma City later this week, I'll pay closer attention to it, and send you a report.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Gooday Alan, nice post question that has demonstrated one of the great parts about building a Kitfox - the support of these guys - I have never met any of them but know them well and they are all generous with their expertise and advice - I have never waited long for all the advice I have needed when 'stuck' or unsure. And the manual is pretty good. I got my kit in October last year and have just reached the covering stage. Unlike many, I didn't by everything - I am still learning my way into the engine and instrument choices - and they are developing sooo rapidly I am postponing it as long as I can!

So, I have made pretty good progress but now am sitting in Bali - doing a bit of work actually ( I will attach a pic of our house here but that will probably not convince you I am working!) - and will be back into it in about a weeks time. I don't work regularly (not every week, nor 9-5) so I don't use the 'do the little bit every day' approach to it. In fact, that would annoy me - I prefer the 'full immersion' as I like to see substantive progress. However, the approach is obviously a negotiation between personal preferences and logistical practicalities. I don't think you should worry at all about why people don't finish Alan - there is no embedded problem with the design nor the kit that is causing people to slow down or stop. Their reasons will be personal and vary. The real challenge for each of us is make sure the project is capable of full-filling our personal aspirations - if the answer is 'yes', then go for it! life is too short... Look forward to seeing your progress Alan! - I suggest you treat this forum like a bank - make heaps of deposits of your progress and then you will have no problems making a few withdraws when you need them!

Best wishes

Ross
    Attached Images Attached Images