Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vixen

Default Re: Vixen

Gary
    I fly a Vixen with 912UL. Bought it in CA in late 2009 with just over 100 hrs. I installed a IVO IFA prop and now can get 117 MPH if I want to burn some fuel. It now has 450 hours, burn regular unleaded mogas and normally cruise at just over 100. I get off the ground quicker than most GA`s with a pretty comfortable ride. It has been across the Rockies at 11,000 feet plus a few times.
    I don`t honestly think you need a 912S unless you are flying out of a lot of short unimproved strips. The UL is cheaper and easier to maintain in my opinion. Of course, my opinion is only worth what it cost.
    Cheers
    Don

i have flown alongside it on several occasions and know a bit of the history of the builder and consider him a friend. It likely needs recovering, but a total rebuild?
    I'll try to be a little more specific below as to my short statement about it needing a total rebuild and trying to prompt prospective buyers to do their homework as I too know bits of its history.

This aircraft probably hasn't changed much since we first met the builder and his wife at our fly in many years ago when this Vixen was first put into service. It was rough then. Sorry for being so blunt. I had a long time to stand and look it over with cowlings off and visually inspect the panel and wiring.

I would think the basic fuselage is OK and the wing structure also.
    It certainly could use a total stripping of fabric, recover and repaint. At that time I'd also install new fuel tanks and a complete new fuel delivery system.
    That's a lot of work and may take a new owner as long as building a kit from scratch. That is not giving any consideration yet to engine condition or all its supporting systems.

Somewhere in my memory I recall a nose gear failure and I think it was on this aircraft and was due to a corrosion issue that affected a few SkyStar manufactured struts. Not the builders fault. If I'm thinking of a different aircraft I ask forgiveness for the memory fade. If it did, how did that affect the engine if at all?

Only one of us on this thread has had a chance to really inspected the log books in depth and his opinion has been given.

Nowhere in my previous post did I say that this aircraft should never be purchased or flown but that you really need to see the plane in person before making decisions. Again, my opinion.

I think the right person could take this aircraft and make it not only a great flying but a great looking Kitfox. Nothing there that can't be fixed or improved with effort and time. I wish the seller well and good luck with the sale. He is a very nice person and in my opinion, honorable.

P.S.
    The Vixen is high on my list of great Kitfox models, always will be.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I mostly concur with Desertfox4, and I would definitely inspect the p[lane for flight worthiness. However, while inspecting it I would make a list of what must be done immediately, and what can be put off 6 months. Once I figured that out I would repair all of the immediate issues, and then I would prioritize the 6 month stuff. Once I got all of the immediate stuff fixed (Priority #1), the aircraft signed off by an A&P, I’d fly it for the summer, and start ordering parts for Priority #2.

I’d go over the entire plane and do a fabric test to verify the fabric is good, and start planning a repaint. I personally don’t care for the yellow, so I’d paint the cowling white, the tail looks ok. If the fabric is OK I’d leave it at that. I am not fond of that big Venturi on the pilots side, and since most Pilots inevitably want a little different panel, I’d then plan for either a complete new panel or adding Electric DG etc. to get rid of the Venturi.

The Vixen is a very nice looking bird, the style is not something you can’t get if you buy an Outback or a Series 7. As for the Price go look at the plane fly with the owner, and then offer him $20,000, or $25,000 whatever you think is fair, point out the things you believe detracts from his asking price, after that is negotiations. However, I think it is a good idea to be a nay sayer from the start so you don’t jump and pay too much for something that needs a lot of work. However, it is a Vixen, and they are very distinctive. I definitely would go look, and give it consideration!

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Z; 03-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I don't know. total rebuild. is that an observation on quality of build that one person does over another. there are people that put so much into a build that when done the aircraft is a show piece. not bashing this type of build but there is the person (me) that put what's needed into a aircraft and moves on. My airplane for instance is far from being a looker. but I will say it's a 20 foot airplane and looks fine from that distance. you get up on it and look real close and you might start saying it's a junker. I have polyfiber paint in the standard variety of white. it is hangared and still after a few years looks like crap. do I care. no. why? when I fly somewhere it doesn't get a single look. I think that is kool. why? I don't have kids climbing in and on it. I like that. keep those little scoundrels. off my plane, ya baby. I raised my kids, don't want any more of those rug rats around.

do I trust my plane, with my life. the value is what you make it. I'm thinking of repainting my fox, what color. white of course. with these little babies, you can't be to careful. prying eyes looking up in the sky, if white, just another airplane. on the ground, oh it's just a white plane, boo hoo. what's next. I like that.

I agree with Slyfox I don’t think or should I say “know” if it needs a total rebuild, but I would inspect it to see what needs done. I have already said the two things that would be on the top of my list. I think $28,000 is a fair price!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I think a lot of Kitfoxes are great builds right up until somebody tries to finish
    them, and then they turn into something less than desirable ... The builder's
    capabilities, or lack of, really shows up in the finishing. Not so much in the
    basic build. So if you're willing to rework one of them it's a pretty safe buy.

That's my two cents worth.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

As I said earlier go look at it until you see it you don't know what shape it is in.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Off topic... sorry, but can the Vixen be converted to a taildragger, with a mod to the fuse, meaning amending, or strengthening the area where the main (front) gear would normally be fitted to?

Tiaan Hafele

Kitfox Model 3 - Flying, Rotax 618
    Kitfox Model IV - Restoring, Rotax 912 UL

Cosmofly,

I asked the same question and the answer is no. The Vixen can't be converted to a tailwheel like the model 6 & 7 can. I got the model 5 Outback because I wanted a tailwheel plane.

Of course anything could be changed if you really wanted to
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

It was not designed for the quick change option, but there is no reason it can't be done.

It may take a little welding and some fabric work, that's all.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos