Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator and rudder bushings

Default Elevator and rudder bushings

Hi everyone! My name is jeff. I just purchased an unstarted model 2 kit a few weeks back. I have not been able to locate the elevator or rudder hinge bushings. What are they supposed to be made out of?

Jeff

Default Re: Elevator and rudder bushings

It's basically Nylon Polyflow tubing with an OD to friction fit the tubing rings. You then ream the ID to match the diameter of the clevis pins.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

By the way, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful info here. Good luck on your build. Just remember to do something every day.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks, I actually know where that tube is! I think I have everything, but most of the stuff was taken out of the boxes and put into file cabinets. I spend more time finding all the parts, than installing them.

Jeff

To make the plastic bushings fit easier, try putting them in the freezer for an hour or so before fitting !!!
    Roger

It can be a challenge to get them in. I ended up putting the hinge pins in the bushings to support them while you tapped them into the hinges helped. Putting them in the freezer is a good idea too. It's a tight fit no matter what Try not to have small children or your Preacher within earshot while you are doing it ! EG

Chamfer the bushing to aid installation. Use a bolt, nut and washers. Simply tighten the assembly and it will press the bushing in with ease. The bolt will prevent deforming the inside of the bushing. Ream the bushing to finish.

John

Tip: install all bushings before you ream them. Buy a 30 inch long drill bit to use as a line boring tool and reamer. Home Depot sells them in the electrical section. The long bit assures the holes align.

John

I would like to replace the rudder and elevator pins and bushings on my Kitfox 2. Has anyone done any upgrades to a different material like bronze or turkite.

Thanks Mike H

on the model 2 I didn't think there were any bushings ..just the an bolt thru the hinge
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I just finished doing this project on my plane.

5/16" plastic tubing from the hardware store. I cut the bushings long and predrilled them slightly oversized to the pins. Then when they are pressed into the hinge, trim off the excess and they are ready to go. Some experimenting with the predrilling size is needed, but it's super easy. 10' of this tubing cost less than $2, 5x more than I needed.

No need to hand ream or get long drills.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos