Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bubble doors

Default Re: Bubble doors

The channel is 1" wide and the slots are about 1/8". I bent it by hand over a piece of padded fairly large diameter pipe. In the first picture you can see the marks I put on the channel to estimate the bend location. The haze around the bend was due to the anodized surface crazing. To keep the bend smooth, I inserted strips of thin aluminum into the slots to fill the gaps snugly. This prevented the outside aluminum from simply collapsing into the slot. It was bent to an eyeball acceptable shape. Once bent and cut to a rough slightly oversized length, I fitted it over the door and marked and cut off the internal flange and web at the ends so the outside flange would fit snugly over the Poly and door. I didn't trim to length until after the whole thing was clecoed onto the door frame.

As far as the Polycarbonate is concerned, I fitted it to the H channel first. The internal contours are more than I could have estimated. Then the poly was fitted to the door frame using clamps. After everything was good drilling and clecos replaced the clamps. The Polycarbonate was trimmed to it's final shape and the H Channel was then marked and trimmed to length, painted, reclecoed into position and finally riveted. I found some black aluminum rivets on line as black is my interior color and I wanted everything to match.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    I like the way that turned out, particularly the black rivets which almost disappear into the black door frames. Also as you mentioned there's got to be a substantial weight penalty to the acrylic. Did you use the rubber tape in between the polycarbonate and aluminum door frame? Nice.
    Tom

Nicely done!

Looks great.... and like you say, you get the look/view without the additional weight.

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Twp pieces of Polycarbonate were used to accommodate the compound curve. No I didn't us the tape. I will have to give that future consideration. One issue that will inevitably will crop up is dust, etc. lodging betweent he round tube and the plastic which will be noticable from the outside. I wonder if the black tape will help eliminate that. As it is now, replacing the polycarbonate skins would be similar to replacing the windshield - drilling out the rivets, using the existing plastic for patterns, trim and drill, cleco and rivet. Probaby half a day.
    I did the whole thing to eliminate the warping that was so common on the fiberglass shapes that conntected upper and lower panels.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Re-covered my doors over the past few days... and while doing so, I also built new door latches as I was never satisfied with the originals. I'm very satisfied with the door seal, which was another reason I wanted to change the old latches.
    Inside Latch 2.jpg

In an attempt to "hide" the door frame, I painted the lexan from the inside 1/2" in from the rivets and outwards. I've had good luck with this method in the past, and I'm quite happy with the results.
    Edge Paint.jpg

Also... I made myself a new "lock" so I can secure the doors at fly-in etc. And my key is an allen wrench.
    Lock and Key.jpg

Now my IV is ready to face the winter again.... when the blizzard stops!
    Ready to go.jpg

Next project.... switching from heat muff cabin heat to inside heater core (Earls oil cooler) and computer fans.... just in time for next winter!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Very nice results. The paint around the edge makes it look particularly good.