Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubble doors

Default Bubble doors

I'm looking for advice on the installation of acrylic bubble skins on the aluminum bowed door frames. The fit around the outside edge appears to be fine. It seems that the radius of the molded acrylic is somewhat different that the door frames in the center area leaving as much as 1" separation between the acrylic and the aluminum frame. Perhaps this is correct? The airplane is model 4.

Default Re: Bubble doors

I have no personal experience witht the bubble doors, but my understanding from reading that it is normal. I don't know what is recommended now, but in the past, some felt that the acrylic added enough strenth to the door that they cut out the two cross tubes apparently without issues.
    Lowell

Dj Series 6

Thanks Daryl and Lowell. The situation is perfectly clear now. I appreciate the help.

If the 4 is anything like the 7 the center crossbar is deliberately spaced away from the acrylic to allow you to use it as a handle for opening/closing the door.

Jim

Agree with that (horizontals to be used as handgrip).
    Mr McBean answered on my question that it is possible to remove the horizontal bars. But when I installed the doors and sat in the plane, I found out how handy they are. And they're bent so, that they hardly take any space (or provide any, for that matter), so I left them where they were.

I'm planning on keeping the horizontal bars in position and using stainless sheet metal screws to attach the acrylic to the frames. The 3M tape is available locally at the NAPA store at $48. All that's left is door latches from kitfox aircraft.
    Tom

here's the results. No door handles yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seeing Tom's picture brought up a thought. My understanding is that the Bubble doors initial purpose was to add a bit of width to the cockpit. If the horizontal tubes are retained, it seems it would reduce that advantage a bit. If it is the look you are looking for, I did a Polycarbonate installation that gives the look pretty much, but eliminates the cost and the weight of the heavier Acrylic. I used a very thin commercially available H channel that I bend to fit and the poly was slotted into the top and bottom if the channel. What might look like funny striping on the bottom panel is actually the pre-upholstered seat pan as seen through the panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,

Could you please post a close up showing the detail of your channel/poly install. Very interesting!

Lowell,

Were you able to install a single piece of polycarbonate on each door?... or did you have to split it in the middel to allow for the compound curves?

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop