Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tack and seal gasket sealant

Default Tack and seal gasket sealant

I used the tack and seal supplied in the kit for my fuel tank fittings but it has been 30 hrs now and it still is very tacky. The tube is only 6 mos old so shelf life shouldn't matter yet. How firm should it get and how long might it take? I don't want to proceed til I'm sure. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

Default Re: Tack and seal gasket sealant

This stuff is non-hardening, so should stay tacky for a long time. It is "resistant" to diesel fuel and oil, but I don't know about gasoline. Personally, I don't think this is a good application for this product.

Bob,

The 9AR product you show in the photo is what I used for the application you are interested in. My Series 7 manual said "Permatex 9A".

The permatex people say it is good for diesel and oils on their web site. They don't have any product which they explicitly say anything about gasoline....none. I have no idea why, certainly their products are used with gaskets and fittings which contact gasoline.

FWIW - I used the 9AR product for the application and have had no leaks or problems since 2008. I did try some other products at certain places and they did not work so well. Also experimented with dry joints at the fuel tank......didn't take long before I unscrewed that and put in the fittings with the 9AR product....been good since. The stuff doesn't "dry out" noticably when it is smeared on a fitting.

If you look around at other experimental aircraft lists, I think you will find the Permatex 9AR product comes up a lot for fuel line fittings.

Sincerely,

Dave S

I used the 9AR as well as suggested on this board in the past. Had a leaky plastic header tank at the fittings. I l let it sit for 24 hours, put gasoline in it and flew with no problems.

Thanks for all the info! It is starting to finally firm a bit. I'll rinse the tank tomorrow with acetone and 100LL , leak check, then permanently install in the wing.
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

I'm installing the brake lines, and is it ok to use the PERMATEX 9AR tack & seal that I used on the fuel tank fittings to seal the brake line fittings too? Thanks
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

I used regular Permatex thread sealant for the brake fittings that required it.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

would like to post a tip on the hose barb fitting for the fuel vent in the right tank. the vent hose has to make a 90 degree turn from that fitting to follow along the #1 rib to the rear spar then down to the header tank. I cut off the first 2 barbs on the hose fitting going to the tank to give a little more room for the hose to bend. I had a restriction at that bend the would show up after a long flight "2 1/2 to 3 hr's" with low fuel pressure on the fuel pressure gage. I also replaced the tygon tubing for the vent with gates fuel hose rated for fuel injection, hope this helps

I used the following product http://www.gasoila.com/products/pipe...d-sealant.html It was recommended by a manufacturer of auxiliary fuel cells.They use it on all there gasoline threaded fittings.Also used by many gasoline pump installers on the gasoline connection fittings.Good for E-85 alcohol gasoline.On the container it listed it works on most plastics so I felt the fiber glass tank threads fell into this category.Check it out.