Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triangular lateral windows to attach

Default Re: Triangular lateral windows to attach

Some photos of two options. First are photos of my current set up. I used Murle Williams window templates during my build which doesn't use an external frame but a bonded in thin aluminum triangular frame (looks like it is 13" long on the sides) and a piece of thin lexan held in with lots of very small bolts. See first 3 photos of my window install.
    IMG_1101.jpg
    Looks like the bonded in frame is about 13" on each side.
    You can't see the aluminum frame as it is sandwiched between the outside fabric and another piece glued over the frame on the inside of the aircraft. The opening was simply cut out with a razor blade and a larger sized piece of lexan bolted on the inside makes up the window. The bolts are of course in holes drilled through the fabric layers and internal aluminum frame at carefully spaced locations. I've never had it leak while flying in rain or washing the aircraft.
    IMG_1103.jpg
    Photo of the inside of the window.
    IMG_1109.jpg
    Second is a kit made by a fellow Kitfoxer out of Oklahoma. Sent it to me at least 12 years ago and I never installed it.
    The kit cost $100.00 over 12 years ago. It is a very well made aluminum frame ( almost looks like it was stamped) and somewhat thicker lexan with protective film still on. My kit still looks as it did when he shipped to me. I'd be willing to sell it for $100.00 including shipping to the lower 48.
    Good chance if still available from my friend that the price has gone up.
    Not sure if it is still available but if this one sells and others want one, I'll try to contact him.
    IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    Window taped in place over mine. Mine is just slightly larger so this kit most likely would not work as a replacement for my existing window.
    IMG_1113.jpg
    I also have what looks like an original side window set up that is sewn to a larger triangular piece of fabric. The windows still look useable as they retain the protective film on the lexan. If these will work for someone I'll take a offer on them and ship them my cost. Time to get them out of my hangar before they get damaged.
    IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Larry,
    The pictures below show what I did. I wanted the "glass" easily replaceable and as described in the earlier note, it is aluminum with channels flat head riveted to the frame. The Polycarbonate is slipped into the forward and lower channels and four self tapping #4 screws screwd into the Polycarbonate secures it on top. Replacement is a matter of removing the four screws sliding the plastic out and copying it with new material then reinserting it and the screws.

If you or a friend have a router table, you can make up a routing template using glued 1X2s. Secure the aluminum to the template with three screws, drill a hole for access of a ball bearing guided edging bit, then route the aluminum to shape the window portion. Then final trim the aluminum window frame to fit within the structural tubing. The channels are shimmed aluminum strips with a slight bend at the inner edge. I used strips of the polycarbonate for the shims. The bends on the channels should be outside the shims - touching the final window material sligtly - for a snug fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Great feedback and picks!

Nice clean install Lowell. Pretty sharp.

DesertFox: I will send you a PM with a couple of questions.

Here are mine, a simple aluminum frame, bonded after the fabric was installed with structural adhesive. I posted the details earlier in the thread on the adhesive used to bond the windows to the frame.

I could lend you the cardboard templates if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med