Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triangular lateral windows to attach

Default Triangular lateral windows to attach

I finished the recovering of my KF2 and need now to glue new lexan triangular windows (the small ones just behind the doors).
    The former one seems to be fixed by a sort of double face tape.
    Does anyone now which sort of tape i can use or other material ?

Default Re: Triangular lateral windows to attach

3M super strong attachment tape (yes it really is called something like that) for car body moldings and the like.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I used 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape part no. 06384. It's available on Amazon and other automotive sites. 1/2" wide, .045" thick

Made mine out of Al sheet stock. Usual cardboard template for a pattern.

-- Paul

I wish I had heard of the tape. The original windows from Skystar were sewn into small triangular pieces of fabric that were supposed to be glued in with Polytac, then finished like the rest of the fabric. I didn't like the look then so glued mine onto the fabric. Ten years later, they were looking a bit tacky, but impossible to replace. This time, I put in the aluminum frame, but riveted some thin channels front and bottom that I could slip a piece of Lexan in with four #4 sheet metal screws on top to hold it in place. Replacing it now amounts to unscrewing the four screws, popping the old Lexan out, cutting a new piece to match and slipping the new one back in.
    Lowell

The SS7 manual says to use RTV and glue them to the inside of the aluminum frame. A rivet in each corner is optional.

Jim

I used smoked gray lexan cut for the triangle windows on each side. I then cut adel clamps down and used them to clamp on the windows to the fuselage frame. Quick, easy to make and they look great.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    The SS7 manual says to use RTV and glue them to the inside of the aluminum frame.
    This is basically what I did. I used clear silicone knowing the silicone would not stick to the polycarb. I then used two #6 (pan head) machine screws per side. The silicone is acting as a gasket and replacement of the polycarb should be very easy when the time comes.
    Dan
    Last edited by DanB; 03-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would shoot this out there. I am recovering my Model III and the traingular windows, though they are like new (original sewed in Skystar), it doesnt appear promising that I can save them.

I see mention of using an aluminum frame. Anyone have drawings or maybe even offer a kit for replacement out there?

Larry S.

Larry, I may have something that will work for you. It is at my hangar. I'll try to get by the hangar tomorrow before my Easter dinner and look for it. It is a "kit" for the side windows including a metal frame and the plastic windows. I'll bring it home and take photos for you in case it might work on your 3.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

DesertFox4, shoot me a copy of that pic also, or post it here if you can. I have the same issue (need to replace the sewn in lexan) and have been trying to figure out the best method.

Louie