Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: wing tanks

Default wing tanks

I am getting ready to put in new ethanol resistant wing tanks, and any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: wing tanks

Do the service bullitin #60 before you install. Washes with Acetone and fuel to clean out all manufacturing residue.

Dick B

Some of that ultra strong fishing line to cut the RTV holding the old tanks to the spars.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

.020 safety wire works also . also when you position the tank , leave enough room to get a needle through to ribstich the outbd rib where you splice the new fabric . wish i had done that . be sure to install the spacer blocks between the tank and the ribs , the butt rib will deform when you shrink the fabric if you dont .
    there are some pictures in one of my albums of my project . mine was replacing the old 6 gal tanks with the new 13 gal tank so was considerably more involved than a swap of tank for tank .
    rinse real good , got lots of junk out of mine
    get the sealant from mcbean , the stuff has a shelf life and no one locally carried it . maybe your area is different .
    chances are that the sump drain hole in the fabric wont line up so install the patch on the inside before the tank . at the tank outlet , there is a low point that contacts the fabric , i also installed the fabric reinforcing on the inside before the tank was installed . i only removed the top fabric and didnt have to disturb the lower fabric at all .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I just installed the new tanks in my partially built model 4. Be careful if you plug all the openings in the tank for rinsing. The acetone will cause considerable off-gassing and the pressure will inflate the tank. Vent often during the process or you may pop some of the fiberglass lamination and get a face full of solvent when you open the cap.