Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video recorders -- which are the best

Default Re: Video recorders -- which are the best

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I shot the videos on my website with the X170. It was easy to mount out on the wing strut since you can rotate the alignment on the lens and be able to see the view finder to verify alignment. The RF remote is great also.
    But, it began shutting itself off during the video and of course you aren't aware of this while you are flying. It might be that mine is simply defective but it got worse as time went on. I thought it was the battery getting low since it was winter but now it shuts off a few seconds after I push record while I am inside. Again, it might be that mine is defective.
    I think the video quality is OK but the HD would be much better.

Mike

The Drift x170 I used on the tail of my Kitfox worked OK but was 720 def. and not near as vivid as the GoPro HD. My Drift is now garbage as I rotated the lens and did not feel the stop and stripped many wires off the back of the lens. Be careful with the Drift if you are rotating the lens. I did like the remote feature of the Drift though.

The GoPro does a nice job but lacks remote as stated by Wannafly.
    If GoPro gets a remote and an audio in they will have a winner. I've yet to locate the software download on their site for the upside down function.
    Also it does not direct transfer to Youtube without a conversion program.
    Does anyone recommend a good conversion program for this operation? I used a temporary one off the internet but it degraded the resolution too much.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I've used several movie edit programs and so far the easiest for me is Microsoft Movie Maker. Edit, change length of vid, add background music, add voice over, add titles at beginning, on vid, etc.

Sony has a pretty good one also called PMB
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve, I have Movie Maker in the software bundle that came with my
    computer. It is pretty easy to use. The problem with my GoPro camera is it records in some format that Youtube didn't recognize so I had to run it through a
    program that converts it to Youtube's. Pain in the b***. I think it was call Prism. I tried their free trial for 30 days but was not that impressed with that program. Just wondered how others were doing it. I might post more videos if it didn't take 4 hours to edit , convert then upload to Youtube. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I like the go pro for several reasons, the first it being totally water proof. They are coming out with several piggy back options, and there are several manufactures that are building mounts / gizmos for it. If you look at shows like man vs wild and dirty jobs you will see these guys with the gopro strapped to their chest in many of the shots.

For the prop effect that you get with using any CMOS camera you can put a ND filter in front of the lens and clear up the issue.

My original gopro came with the inverted camera setting, I dont think it was on the list of upgrades to the software but I could be mistaken.

Here are a couple of sites that have alot of goodies for the go pro as well as other helmet cameras.

www.eyeofmine.com

www.ragecams.com

For editing the vids I have been using pinnacle studio for years. Very easy software to learn and you can do as much or as little editing as you want including voice overs etc. It is not free software, but you generally get what you pay for.
    Last edited by akflyer; 03-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.

I use the VIO, on race truck, Gun mount, airplane, motorcycle, underwater, and helmet cam. ITS tough

http://www.vio-pov.com/

Here's some short facts for inflight video from what we've done:

ContourHD, and many lowcost units, have bad propeller boomerang
    appearances. GoPro is reported to do this LESS than the ContourHD.

a Good High end JVC etc will be wonderful for front facing shots thru
    the prop, but even those units using SD card memory CAN, and sometimes DO shutdown even when not using hard drive technology if the bump is
    even medium (doesn't take a hard landing, happens semi often to us).
    Don't even try on those hard drive units, they will FAIL to perform in any
    I've tried.

Good luck!
    ~Wild

DesertFox4,
    The video converter program that I use when conversion is necessary is called FoxTab (must be a good program with that name, huh?). Anyway, it is free and seem to do a good job. Here's the link if you want to take a look.

http://download.foxtab.com/videoconverter/
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyvppbPHcI

Shot with the gopro.

The mount is just safety wired to the gear leg with no vibration dampening from the airframe so the pic can get even better when I get the new mount done. I did not have the ND filter on it for this video. Hope to get some new video up in the next couple weeks with the filter in place.
    Last edited by akflyer; 03-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.