Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

Default Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

FYI on Grove spring gear:

Regarding the Grove 7075 spring gear questions (discussed earlier), and whether the Grove specified preformed gear is really appropriate for Kitfox 3 & 4 aircraft (some say it’s too stiff and won’t deform in a crash). I called Grove and got some insight into their design criteria for the Kitfox.

They size their Kitfox -4 -1200 gear for tail wheel operation. It is sized so that during a 3 G landing, which they qualify as a “hard landing”, but not a “crash landing”, the 7075 aluminum spring gear will be subject to a bending force maximum of 46,000 PSI. At this PSI level, the gear will flex, but not permanently deform.

For 7075 gear with their level of heat treating, the yield pressure is about 63,000, which would occur at what they guess to be about 5.5 G’s, a true “crash landing” where you want the gear to deform and absorb the impact energy. At this pressure, the 7075 will bend and permanently deform, but won’t actually break (that’s why the use it). Interestingly, using 7075 Aluminum allows them to make a lighter gear as the same size gear made of 2024 aluminum yields at 43,000 psi.

If bent badly, they can strengthen the gear up to 3 times, but after that it has permanently lost some of its spring and should be replaced (it could break on crash too).

I also asked them about this special spec Kitfox-4-1200 gear when used in Tr-gear applications. In this application, the mains are under somewhat less load then in tail dragger configuration, so this also supports my contemplation that in using this gear, at least in Tri-gear application, the gross weight of the Kitfox-4 could be safely increased to 1250 lbs if other modifications are also made (upgrading the tail feathers).

What do ya think?

Roger

Default Re: Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

I think it sounds like this unit can be hard landed lots, but only crash landed 3X as long as a person limits their crash landings to 5.5 G

Sorry, Thought I needed to let you guys know I can occasionally come down with a case of demented humor. I know I normally take things too seriously.......

Dave S

Default Re: Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

I'm liking the analogy with any gear a 3 g landing is pretty rough ,..for it to survive that and up to a 5.5 g landing "OUCH" that's a pretty good gear,.
    something that has to be addressed when considering landing gear and the type terrain flying off of and on to ,.. is the tire choice,..the tire is in escents the shock absorber,..the landing gear is the spring,.. as with any application ,..ie air plane ,..auto,..etc bad shocks can brake a spring,.or make it too bouncy ,..but on the other hand, if your hitting the ground at 3 G's I garantee it's going to bounce or something is going to bend, regardless of the tire/landing gear choice,..
    the lighter the aircraft ,..the more escential it is that you fly it all the way to the ground,...
    It's like shooting a rifle weighing 6 lbs at cal. 300 magnum versus a 9 lb rifle at cal. 300 magnum ,..the guy squeezing the trigger on the 6 lb 300 mag is going to get bruised first

Chase

Chase;

One other thing Grove pointed out to me, regarding the tires. On landing, the spring gear flexes out, which stores energy from the landing, however, as the gear flexes back in it drags the tires back with it and scrubs the tires across the ground. This scrubbing absorbs and dissipates the energy of the impact (cool huh?). Therefore, tire selection is very important as tires play a multirole in in the landing gear. Also, he pointed out that if you land on glare ice, no dissipated energy (oh my aching butt)….. It’s all actually kind of complicated for such a seemingly simple physical system, or so Grove tells me.

Roger

Makes sense to me Roger ,..the fulcrum ..center of the axle at the insection of the gear leg ,.. on the inboard side has nothing to reduce the action of the tire hitting the ground ,..so the gear flex's out as well as twists the nose of the tire away from center at the same time which would make the tire skid sideways slightly and reducing rebound providing the tire isn't too hard,..and the surface the tire is on has enough friction and will allow the flex to take place,.as you mentioned ,..on ice it would not.
    this is true on all off set landing gear ,..just some exagerate the "toe out" flexing more then others.

Chase

Did Grove give any advice on tire pressure or sizes?
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

By the way, if I install Alaskan tires on a S.S. do I have to beef up the landing gear to 1550lb?

Russ,.. the tire size would be your choice as to what fits your style of flying best,.inflation would be the manufacturer's recomended pressure for use.
    Chef ,.I'm sure the stock gear on a model 7 SS would handle "alaskan" or tundra tires ,..

Default Re: Grove... ( 1550 vs 1320)

With my kit awaiting shipment I am still debating whether to certificate at 1550 or 1320. The question out there now is: Will the 1550 gross have negative effects if used at LSA gross wieghts? My thoughts are that the spring action might be to stiff. I have posted the Question to Grove but look forward to any debate.

Unless you have a need to be LSA 1550 is a clear winner in my book. I also have no concerns with my gear being too stiff.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive