Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flying straight

Default Flying straight

Just a quick question about flying straight,I only have about three hours on our kitfox 2 after a long lay off from flying.I'm having a bit of a problem flying the plane straight from the right seat (Instructor in left seat)but slowly adapting.The biggest thing I'm noticing is the constant left rudder needed to track straight . Is this normal on other kitfoxes and would a trim tab on the rudder help??? Other than that it is a blast to fly.

Thanks Willis

Default Re: Flying straight

Hi Willis, You will probably get a lot of different responses from adjusting the wing dihedral/washout to installing a trim tab. My KF pulled to the right. I installed a 3"x6"x.025" tab on the rudder. After a couple of test flights, I got the bend correct and all is well. I had some yellow duct tape and just used that for mounting. It's been on there for 250 hours. No more pull to the right.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try.Got to love duct tape ,hope I can find some in blue.

i think i remember something about the earlier models didnt have any offset in the vertical stab to correct for engine rotation . i assume your model II doesnt have a 912 so it turns backwards . ive also installed a trim tab , although i attached it a little more permanently . guess i didnt want it to depart the airplane when i got up around mach 1 or maybe id just didnt think of duct tape .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Oh come on now Chuck, your KF is way too nice for duct tape! When I get my Pacer completed, the KF is going in for major restoration. Until then, a little duct tape here or there, doesn't really matter to me!

Scott

I had the same problem (only with my 912 I had to hold right rudder).

I installed a trim tab, about 6" tall x 4" long, made from some scrap sheet metal I found in the garage. Painted it Krylon black and riveted it on with stainless pull rivets with a little silicone for sealing purposes. No more nose drift...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos