Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 8mm vs 5/16 prop bolts

Default 8mm vs 5/16 prop bolts

Got my new Ivo light 68" ground adjustable prop in. Sure is smooth on runup and love that easy ground adjusting method. Weather won't allow inflight test yet though.

The supplied 8mm mounting bolts work but are a little long for my taste. Once properly torqued, the threaded end comes within a few mm of touching the 'C' gearbox housing. Also, I'd feel better if they were drilled and I could safety wire them too.

So the question is, can one get shorter 8mm AN quality bolts with the heads drilled? Should I just use drilled AN5 bolts instead? Or, should I just add some washers on the face of the prop hub and not worry about safety wiring?

Chris Carlisle
    Model 2, 582 Bluehead, C box
    Sioux Falls, SD

Default Re: 8mm vs 5/16 prop bolts

I bought some for a 912 a few years ago from Lockwood Aviation and they drilled the heads for me at no additional charge. I think I still have them somewhere, if you want them for free. I will just have to find them out at the airport among my stuff.

Tommy Walker in Alabama

Tommy...Thanks. Worth a try and can't beat the price! I'd pay shipping of course if you're able to find them.

Chris

I did not safety wire, On the Ivo prop you are suppose to check torque every 10 hours.
    Dj Series 6

I saw the note in the IVO instructions about not using safety wire but I don't mind cutting it off and re-wiring after torque checks every 10 hours as recommended. Small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Chris

Chris,

Can you measure the length of your bolts so that I don't ship you some that are too long. in mm will be great. just measure the shank and threads.

Tommy

Tommy...Bolts are 75mm from top of head to end of threaded shank. Looks like 70 or even 65 would work.

Chris

Tommy , a washer or two on the head of the bolt is acceptable for the Ivo installation. That is quickest short of ordering new bolts from ACS or AirWolf with drilled heads for safety wire. Most do not safety wire the Ivo proo. bolts but it's fine if you want to.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear