Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield fitting

Default Re: Windshield fitting

Don't know if this is will be of any help but I used to buy rolls of black windshield pitch for installing windshields. This stuff is very tacky and stays flexible. If you were to use this, I would put waxed paper over it until the glass is in place then pull a little waxed paper out one small section at a time. You can buy this at an autobody supply store.

That stuff (pitch) is called butyl tape and the UV light will destroy it and your glass will fall out.

(I'm in the autoglass business.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Marc,

My suggestion would be to contact John @ Kitfox

My kit (S7) was purchased prior to the current ownership of Kitfox; and, while it did include a roll of "sealing tape" - there was no description of what kind of material this was. The "Sealing tape" was sticky on one side only, about 1/16" thick an inck wide and sort of a black foam stuff. The instructions included in the manual stated to use the sealing tape by sticking it to capstrips on the buttribs, on the inside of the door frame angles and on top of the angle above the rear carry through tube.

Don't know how much in common the S7 has with your Kitfox on this issue; however, John is the expert on what works and I am sure he can help you.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Hey Dave,

yes I guess that would be the best thing to do.

Problem is I'm located in Germany and have a hard time in getting airplane stuff, only via spruce and that is due to taxes and stuff expensive and takes forever :-(

Thanx a lot

Marc

I'd removed my old windshield yesterday, cut the new one and drilled all the holes for rivets using the old one.
    Tomorrow will fix the new one hope will be OK

Hey.

Mine is fitted now, I used lexan and it worked out pretty good.

Since I had to take the measurings from the preformed one it dit not fit as nicely but it will work I guess.

Next time around will be much easier.

Cheers from Germany

i bent my old one after putting it under heavy things in a hot room. And after was easy to cut at the good length.

Best regards from Dijon and was born in Strasbourg so no so far from Germany

I'm happy, the new one had been fitted without any problem.
    I started from the rear part. As i haven't Clecos, i inserted each rivet without tightening them to be sure that each hole was at the good place. As all was ok, i started to fix it definitely from the rear to the front. Apart the front part that is bent more then the roof and has bigger rivet all was very easy.
    I seem to have a new aircraft ! It's sure that the new one make the difference in front of the 18 years old one blurred from the gazoline and with lots of cracks.