Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel tank question/issue

Default Re: Fuel tank question/issue

There is a guy in Corona Ca that has a set of fiberglass wing tanks for a Kitfox 3 for sale. I think he had them on Barnstormers. He is parting out his Kitfox 3 so is running a number of adds for Kitfox stuff. If you don't see the tank add, you can get his phone # from one of the other adds. Take care, Jim Chuk

Pete

I was just checking to see how the ethanol washing is going. I noticed more people are doing it now. There is a company, I think it portable fuel systems that is working on a retail unit that washes the gas. I spoke to a local fuel distributor and he said that they train their new employees about washing gas. He said it is to show them how moisture effects gas. He also said that removing the ethanol will lower the octane about 4 points so it seems that is the consenus. I believe this is the route I'll be going too.

Be wary of the wingtank.com tanks. I have installed both the crosslink poly tank and the new kitfox tank. The poly tank which come one per bay total of four utilize a push in rubber grommet fitting that is prone to leaking. In order to do the 12 gal per wing you need to connect the two tanks together, requiring six push fittings and installing another rib. I installed the tanks and less than 20 hours I had a leak. I looked into trying to thread fittings but the material isn't thick enough and you can not weld crosslink poly. I elected to remove and install the new kitfox tanks. These tanks are a great fit light weight and no mechanical fittings in the wing. If anyone wants a set of poly tanks let me know I'll be glad to recoup whatever I can.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Pete

I was just checking to see how the ethanol washing is going. I noticed more people are doing it now. There is a company, I think it portable fuel systems that is working on a retail unit that washes the gas. I spoke to a local fuel distributor and he said that they train their new employees about washing gas. He said it is to show them how moisture effects gas. He also said that removing the ethanol will lower the octane about 4 points so it seems that is the consenus. I believe this is the route I'll be going too.
    Jerry, I put 100LL in last fill up as the plane is sitting quite a bit lately. Weather, projects and family stuff have conspired to keep me grounded more. I did not want to have mogas sitting in my tank for long periods of time. I found that when I sumped my plane once the weather turned cool that I got a few ounces of water/ethanol settling after a week or so sitting. Never had an engine problem though.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove