Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Leading edge?

Default New Leading edge?

I heard mention somewhere that John/Deb and the crew developed a new leading edge... and it was installed on the new yellow Rotec plane? I wish I had paid attention when I was in Oshkosh as my eyes were on the Rotec and nothing else... kinda like seeing Dolly Parton for the first time I guess.

Anyone have info on that? speed? STOL ? blah... thank you in advance.
    NOKITFOXYET

Default Re: New Leading edge?

Credit where credit is due... The Laker composite leading edge (LLE) that was developed is licensed and sold through us.. but was developed by Phil "Papa" Laker. He also developed many other items that have been used in our Fox's (and some other aircraft) for years and sold through other means. Some of these items include.. thermal formed under-seat tool boxes, gas cap fairings, flaperon tips, the original wide-body for the IV, new wing tips that are standard in the kit, the new cowlings for the S7 Rotec Radial, etc... All the items are now licensed and sold through us with many other items that may become available in the future.

As for data on the leading edge.. we suspect that it will lower the stall and increase the cruise.. maybe not much but every little bit helps... but we are still gathering data.. The initial intent was to have it installed on a Rotax powered aircraft.... It is installed on 3 aircraft and 2 of them are currently flying... both with Rotecs. The 3rd is Rotax powered. We do not have a cost yet.

One thing for sure.. it looks GREAT !!! and no oil canning like the aluminum did.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thank you John... it sounds like a great development... after you've vetted the product, it would be swell to have some pics of the LLE.
    Last edited by Andrew G; 08-24-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    NOKITFOXYET

John,

I have always suspected that the reason vortex generators have been so marginally effective on the Kitfox wing is because of the effect of the interaction of the air between the shrunk fabric and the ribs and false ribs. I am really curious how effective vortex generators would be on the ideal Riblet airfoil using the LLE. Do you have any plans...?

Lowell

Bill Prokes is a vital part of the skunkworks down here in Arizona. One
    needs only to look at the one off doors, turtledeck, cowlings and
    fairings on "Little Red" his Rotec powered model 4 to see his artistry.

Phil
    Super Sport 78 KA
    Vixen 215 L

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    John,

I have always suspected that the reason vortex generators have been so marginally effective on the Kitfox wing is because of the effect of the interaction of the air between the shrunk fabric and the ribs and false ribs. I am really curious how effective vortex generators would be on the ideal Riblet airfoil using the LLE. Do you have any plans...?

Lowell
    I have installed VG's on many different wings.. some were more effective than others...
    Although VG's are a pain to clean around we will run them on the wing with the LLE.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

After being out of General Aviation for 28 years and now just getting back into it... I feel like that guy Rumplestilskin who wakes up after many years... and I see companies like Cessna and Piper who have made almost no contributions to GA... other than figuring out how to raise the price point on a 172 to $350,000... gheesh, you'd think they'd figure out how to make it efficiently by now ; ) I nearly forgot that they did invent some additional models for the GA market, oh wait, they bought those designs from former homebuilt aircraft builders...

And our friends at Lycoming and Continental still haven't figured out how to make a 150 lb 100 horse motor to compete with Rotax... lightening up 40 year old designs is a nice start... but I guess breaking the mold will increase their development costs... and Rotax God bless 'em figured out a nice niche and formula in GA... and it looks like Rotax will own that sweet spot for many years to come... when I was a kid, Rotax was a Snowmobile engine that was dirty, loud and hard to start. They had a much bigger development hill to climb than Lycoming or Continental.

My longwinded point is... it's nice to see a USA-based GA company like Kitfox invent new features and bring them to market on a continuous basis and at a relatively affordable price point. KF's 25 year history is one of constant product improvement, despite cyclical hardships along the way, but the company continues to invest and innovate and that is why I am attracted to the Kitfox company and product.
    NOKITFOXYET

best thing to do is find your place in aviation, put the blinders on and cary on. I have found that there is not much you can do to change things. the good ol' boy school applies much in this area. So find your nich and forget the rest. The best thing you can do is experimental. then you get to decide what can be done for YOUR aircraft.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Have any performance come yet for the LLE? With and with out VGs?

Not officially... and none with vg's as of yet..

The aircraft we have them on currently are seeing slightly lower stalls but we have not been able to establish cruise comparisons due to other configuration variables.... We should know more mid summer.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com