Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Series 7 vs. CH-750 (again?)

Default Series 7 vs. CH-750 (again?)

I know this has been discussed before, but I hope with time there may be more information out there. I can't seem to make up my mind between the Kitfox Series 7 and Zenith CH-750 kits. I think I understand most of the differences in the airplanes (I've taken demo flights in each) and would probably prefer the Kitfox most of the time--except when I want "real" STOL performance. However, my questions now are mostly about the relative ease of building the two kits. I have some experience working with aluminum, but none with tube and fabric. How difficult would the Kitfox be to build relative to the CH-750?

Thanks!

Jim

Default Re: Series 7 vs. CH-750 (again?)

CH ...basic package..comes in a box..you build every section

kitfox basic package ..fuselage is pre built ,. all welded together for you,..

both planes have quick build options.

don't think the CH has a tail dagger option ..it might have not sure,..never seen a TG CH

kitfox is convertable tri gear or TG

did you do any stalls in your introductory flghts?

the CH has 3 piece non adjustable struts,..

the kitfox has solid adjustable struts

kitfox has conventional tail surfaces with trim

CH has flying vertical stab ( no rudder ..the vertical fin is the rudder)and an inverted airfoil horizontal surface

( to each his own on the camparison of tail config)

we won't go to the safety record portion of the evaluation ,.if we did ..the kitfox win's on that aspect alone.

STOL capability? this will depend mostly on pilot experience regardless of what is forecasted.

CH and Kitox parked side by side on the ramp,..which one draws your attention first?

did my best to be un biased

I looked into both before buying a KF-IV. Almost made an offer on a CH-750, but at the end decided against it. Had a Subaru engine, that I thought was too heavy.

The main factor for me was the Kitfox folding wings. The CH's wings can be folded too, but that is an option, not standard like in the KF, and the process is more difficult.

Another thing to consider is aluminum vs fabric. If you must keep your airplane outdoors, the CH may be a better choice.

Only from watching videos, no personal experience, I believe the CH-750 wins hands down on STOL performance.

Smile Re: Series 7 vs. CH-750 (again?)

Having a Model IV, I am biased, however the person in the hanger across from me is building a CH. I have looked over his shoulder and it looks like, as he asserts, an easy build. All the parts have pilot holes predrilled and the accuracy of them seems excellent. The holes line up beautifully. Most all of the parts are preformed and precut. My friend professes to be totally a dillatante at building and says it is easy.
    He likes the tri-gear and thinks the Fox might be too small an interior for him.
    I think, especially if you have flown in each, you should look at which end result will suit you best, Building each is different, not necessarily harder.
    Chuck

haven't seen the video's,....but personally I have landed and took off as short as 75 foot in a kitfox..but that doesn't mean that everyone can ,..no not bragging that I am a better pilot .. I will also fly upside down under a bridge ,( potential for a "that guy's nut's" classification ).. not all will do that either,..that's why I said pilot experience regardless of what is forecasted,..it's the individuals experience in the specific aircraft that dictates how long or short a landing or take off will be unless they want the factory rep there for every take off or landing situation to perform it.
    not being maliscious saying this ..just being honest just because it's said it can be done ..doesn't mean everyone can do it
    when watching an aircraft being advertised as being the best at anything ..it's not the average C-150 pilot at the helm ..it's an experienced pilot that has practiced the maneuver many times in the aircraft that is being advertised.

I'll agree with the point that if you plan on leaving the plane out in the weather ..the CH would do better as for it being all aluminum,.with exception,..you have to go out and drain the water out of the tail after a hard rain,..there is a CH based at Cuba MO airport ..outside all the time ..after a hard rain you can drive by and see the tail sitting on the ground every time,..so it's not really weather proof either,..a little moisture and a little corrosive agent and instead of replacing the fabric ..your rebuilding the whole plane . I think the mechanism for the flying vertical surface is the reason for the water getting in the tail,..

doing my best to stay neutral in comparison too,.. but ..the kitfox outweighs the CH in my mind,.. in too many ways

Chase

In addition to what the rest of the guys have said, the CH does not really fly... it is so friggin ugly the earth repels it

ROFLMAO~!! akflyer ..you owe me a coffee ~!!! I spit mine out all over my monitor while reading your post cause I was laughing so hard..but your right ~!!!!

getting paper towels ha ha ha~!!

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 05-10-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks for all of the replies thus far. I should clarify that I would get a tri-gear Series 7 (if that makes a difference). It doesn't sound like I have SkyPirate's level of skill, but with my limited experience the airplane does seem to matter. I used to own a Cessna 182 with a STOL kit and I now regularly fly (but do not own) a Flight Design CTLS. There's no question I could land shorter in 182 than the CTLS, although the CTLS isn't as bad as some people seem to think. At this point I'm mostly concerned about issues with building the Kitfox. I would get the quickbuild wing, but I didn't see many other quickbuld options on the Kitfox website.

Thanks

CH-750 ugly? Yes!!! - In a tie for 1st (or is it last?) place with a Shorts Airvan.
    ( http://www.pink.at/bilder/fde321.jpg )

Still, a very impresive STOL airplane.

R.W.

I wouldn't call it experience with me Bajacat,..I'm just nut's is all..been known to fly light aircraft in 70 mph winds,..land in roads and pull up to stop and shop store pumps for gas,..attempted to land on top of a moving tractor trailer but too many freekin wires on the road I chose,..i have land on the roof of a building and on a sand bar in front of the Kennedy mansion off Cape Cod.( little black jeeps came out and greeted me .so ..I'm just nut's is all

Chase