Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS baggage area

Default Re: SS baggage area

Looks nice, definitely something to think about. I have been contemplating putting boots for skis in the back of my sack, not sure how practical fly to ski is going to be (yes I realize the foolishness of the word practical on an experimental aircraft site).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal,
    If you fly into Mount Snow airport in Vermont and give a call, Mount Snow Resort will send someone down to pick you up and give you a ride up to the mountain and drop you at the Grand Summit Motel. It's only a few miles each way! Cain B

Thanks Cain, will have to try that. Are you going to be up at your hangar tomorrow? I might be out and about.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal,
    I am going to be in and out tomorrow so it will be hit or miss!

Good photos, enyaw, thanks.

Anyone ever framed a baggage side door into a KF?

Yes, in fact I believe it was briefly part of the 7 design. Not sure for how long, sometime after mine but before the SS.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My 7 has the extended baggage area and side opening door.

When the airframe was modified the factory installed multiple tabs welded to the airframe tubing on all 4 sides of the opening. I used 3/4 inch aluminum angle to frame the opening (on both sides and the bottom portion of the opening). One flat of the angle attaches onto the tabs located on the airframe tubing and the other side of the angle forms a flat surface for the door frame to set up against.

I looked for some pictures but found I only had a few. The first picture shows the angle frame on the top of the opening but in the end I didn't use that portion. I think you can see a portion of the frame on one side and the bottom of the opening.

I used the aluminum door frame (made by the Kitfox factory) and mounted a piano hinge to the top of it and that hinge then mounts to the tabs located on the airframe tubing that goes across the top of the opening. See the 2nd picture. This allows the door to lift up to open and when open I just use a small light duty bungee type cord to hold the door open by connecting one hook on the cord to the inside of the door and other hook on the cord to the comm antenna on the top of the airframe.

The third picture shows the door frame mounted to the airframe and the next picture shows the sheetmetal I covered the door frame with. I have seen other planes that have covered the door frame with fabric.

The last picture shows the finished product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

War Eagle, very nice! Looks good. Any structural considerations with that middle longeron cut out?

Hey Guys,

I got another question. Can someone post pichtures of the original baggage area of a KF 4 Speedster. And if possible also pictures of the sack itself.

Also measurements of it or any improvements would be nice.

Thanxs for the help

Tuna

This is a mod done on a IV...not sure if others have done this with other models. http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Baggage1.html
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ