Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Hi Guys!

Thought I would post a few updates. Wings are about ready to cover. We want to paint the 1# rib and spars on the inboard section before covering. We are having some paint mixed up to try and match the silver oratex, then we are all ready. I think the plan is to cover the wings first so we make sure to have enough to do both planes. (unless someone suggest otherwise) I got the right wing tip cut trimmed and blended. Waiting on kitfox (hopefully soon) to send us new fences, that is why I am missing mine fences. Flaperons where mounted and a little tricky to get installed without binding. Deviated slightly from the instructions but overall we where able to get them installed and moving easily without binding and not flexing the wing. Biggest note is don't have a wing support on the end of the wing as this flexes the wing when installing flapperons. Move support to wing strut attach point.

Wiring in complete in both wings. Took a lot of time to route and secure wiring. Used rescue tape, and nylon lacing to secure so they don't chaff.

My brothers STI is about the same spot. Hoping to have both planes covered by next month. Edge performance turbo912 engines are hopefully showing up first of the year.

Also thinking about Nikk and his accident. Heart goes out to him and his family. Glad he is still with us and sounds like he is fighter. I was able to look over Nikks plane when he flew it out about a month ago and looked over how he built it. Let me say I can see why Trent and Kitfox had him wiring up Trents plane. Hang in there Nikk and praying for you and a full recovery!

Looking Great Dustin. Looks like your no Hack at the wire stuff either. The wires in my plane are the worst part. Having had them made by measurements I provided left a bit to be desired when it came to having the wires perfect in length. I have the need to double back wires to take up slack, some more than others. So Probably if I build another, I will wire it myself. I learned a great deal even having had professionally built harnesses.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Looking great! Nice progress.

Definitely cover the wings first. They are the easiest thing to cover: simple geometry, constant cord. It's good to cut your teeth on those before getting to the curves of the tail feathers or the razorback.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I chose to cover my rudder first because it is the smallest part. If you make a mistake on it there is only a little fabric to replace, not so for the wing. I do agree that the wings are the easiest to cover.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Would you be willing to take more photos and post of the wiring, connectors...throughout the aircraft (fuselage routing for wires/pitot static..

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    Would you be willing to take more photos and post of the wiring, connectors...throughout the aircraft (fuselage routing for wires/pitot static..

Thanks,

Steve
    Sure! I am @ MMUN then KBOS. When I get home I can post some more. I am using this knot to lace cables.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IM844c9SE

Okay here is a few more pictures. I am trying not to use zip-ties in areas the wont be accessible. Lacing the wire is a lot more work. We had some paint mixed up to match the silver oratex 6000 that we are doing. Need to finish prep the surface and I think we will start covering the wings this week. We made a rudder out out solid 3/8 aluminum tubing and practiced covering it. I '"think" we are ready to start covering the wings!

Some nice quality control and attention to detail with the lacing and chafe protection. Also like the Leonardo statement in the background. Keep up the nice work. Bruce N199CL

Nice work. What quick disconnect plugs are you using for NAV lights, and where did you get them? Price per?

What engine are you thinking about?

Steve
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 11-12-2018 at 10:08 AM.

They come with the aero leds. We got them from kitfox....I try and forget all cost once spent so I can’t remember. Around 900$ for the set I think. I tried to find the same connectors to use in other places like the trim motor and sensor. I went with micro molex connectors for those. Figure someone will thank me when hopefully years down the road when the motor needs replacing.

Engines are ordered. Edge performance turbo 912 (155hp) airmaster cs prop. Going this route because Edge builds a good engine and it’s over 50 pounds lighter setup than 915, even though the 915 is sweet setup.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-12-2018 at 10:15 AM.